New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
January 6th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A quick 2 weeks through New Zealand

I just got back from a quick trip through New Zealand. It was an action packed, non-stop adventure. Landed in Auckland after a long flight via LAX. After a day adjusting to the time difference and going up the Sky Tower, I headed south by plane to Queenstown. Here i did the Shotover jet, luge, and had an expensive Xmas dinner. I also took a helicopter ride over to Milford Sound with a Glacier landing. Believe it or not, Milford Sound was sunny and clear! Saw seals and dolphins on a boat cruise. Took a small plane back to Queenstown flying over the Southern Alps. On the way to Nelson had a quick stop in Christchurch - I can see why they say this place is more English than England! I also got to see the Kiwi bird at a small zoo. In Nelson I did the flying fox ride and spent a day hiking in Abel Tasman National Park. Also did a day trip up to Cape Farewell and Farewell Spit - well worth the trip. Saw the Kiwi bands, the Feelers and Opshop just outside Nelson - great time, great bands, and great beer! After Nelson it was a flight back to Auckland to get ready for New Years. After a stop at the Waitomo Caves I traveled south to Piopio for New Years with some friends. A small town of 200 people, New Years was at the Rugby club. (After this party, I am able to say that I have now barfed on 5 continents - LOL). New Years day was spent chilling on the black sand beaches of Mokau and swimming in a watering hole. Then it was back to Auckland for the flight back to chilly Toronto.
This is definitely a place that deserves more time and I will have to come back. But it was still worth it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lake WakatipuLake Wakatipu
Lake Wakatipu

Queenstown
Lisa and ILisa and I
Lisa and I

Queenstown
Lake WakatipuLake Wakatipu
Lake Wakatipu

view from the helicopter
Southern AlpsSouthern Alps
Southern Alps

view from the helicopter
Sutherland FallsSutherland Falls
Sutherland Falls

3rd highest falls in the southern hemisphere
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

view from heli
Centre of New ZealandCentre of New Zealand
Centre of New Zealand

with Lisa, Sara, and Ian
Pupu SpringsPupu Springs
Pupu Springs

"cleanest water in the world"


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 111; dbt: 0.2402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb