Day 1 at the Build Site


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
November 5th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Charlie's AngelsCharlie's AngelsCharlie's Angels

Taking a break for a funny photo...
Greetings from New Zealand! Sorry for the delay, family and friends. We have had quite the adventure trying to get a decent internet connection! We are currently at the home of one of our construction workers, Paul, as he volunteered to let us use the internet. We will try and fill you in on the excitement we've experienced thus far.

We left home on Saturday, November 1st in the morning and didn't get to NZ unti 4:00 am on Monday, November 3rd. The flight was 12 hours and very turbulent in the evening hours (however, only myself and a few other light sleepers actually felt anything). It was pretty rough, though.

Our Habitat hosts picked us up bright and early (7:00 AM NZ time) at the airport and took us on a great tour of the city. We went up to One Tree Hill where we could take pictures of the entire city of Auckland. It was very beautiful. We then went to the Habitat building where our hosts welcomed us with a great breakfast feast and some goodie bags with interesting NZ items. All in all, it was a first great day.

The second day in NZ,
Captain KirkCaptain KirkCaptain Kirk

Action shot of Kirk
but the first day at the build site, we were able to meet the Maori family who was moving into the home (approximate date of move-in is just before Christmas). We got to know Frances, the mother, very well and got to work with her quite a bit. She will be on the site with us a couple of days. She also had her daughter, Chrystal, on site, as well as her nephew, Jamie, and her other son, Drew. They were very friendly and very helpful on the site.

The first day at the site was very successful. We got all of the framing up and got the soil around the house all raked. It's looking great!

Auckland doesn't really have a lot of restaurants to eat at but we did eat at a great place called Two Fat Cows last night. Mostly steaks, seafood, chicken, great food altogether.

We are all quite exhausted at the end of the day but it is great to see the family we are helping and knowing that we are making a difference. It's exciting because we are all getting the hang of what our jobs are and what needs to be done to get this house built. Everyone is missing their family and friends, but we know we need/want to fulfill the purpose for which we came to NZ. We will try to write more if we can find another internet connection! :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb