Three flights of Freedom


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

A last trip in Freedom


The MoneyshotThe MoneyshotThe Moneyshot

Leaving drinks, the moneyshot is the bst drink ever!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page

~ St. Augustine


We ended up leaving a day late to go to Milford Sound as the night of final leaving drinks (and there were a few leaving parties!) was so late we needed a day to recover We headed to Te Anu for the night and got in late to the camp site. When dawn broke the next day we headed right for Milford, stopping on route for a few scenic shots where we met the Keas. These wild parots were brilliant and very cheecky! they flew right into th back of Freedom and stole bread. Supposadly they'll even take the rubber from the rim of your car. The weather was glorious as we got on the boat and took our trip up the Sound. The scenery was stunning and quite an informative guide too. We saw scarred hill sides due to tree alananches and learnt about fungal mutualistic symbiosis! Back to Te Anu for the night where the company was so much better than the food but it was good to eat out at a resturant again.


There was a final few nights in Queenstown, where I hid a bit as i'd said bye
KeaKeaKea

Cheeky birds who will eat even ur car!
so many times to people that it was getting boring. Saoirse packed her stuff, got her cast lookd at and we headed to Dunedin. I was keen to havee a look around Duneddin as its built on the layout of central edinburgh and had so many names of places that made the visit so surreal to me. We had a great breakfast in the sun and after a wee tour around te city, headed on towards Christchurch. Neither of us really fancied spending too much time there so we carried on that night to Kaikoura and stayed in a lovely campsite. The next morning was awesome. We had the backdrop of snowcapped mountans and a flat calm deep blue sea in front of us. So keeping up with karma and paying for our campsite again (each one we'd got to had been closed so we just parked ourselfs in the grounds, knowing that we could leave without paying as they didn't know we were there) we went whale watching!


This was increadible. Not only did we get to see a Sperm Whale really quickly, we got to see up close 3 types of Albatross (or would that be Albatro?!). Having never seen a whale so close, we were both in awe of the creature and got the cliched photo of the tail diving.

Sperm Whale


That night we got to Nelson and met up with an old school friend Chris Pyemont for a quick pint before heading off to Picton for the ferry crossing the next morning. The drive there was glorious and this time round, the ferry crossing was too! We got into Wellington and met up with my old flatmate Sarah Kerr and some old Paihia gang, Lewi, Niamph, and Darci. We also went to the theatre that night to see a friend of mine perform in a play, brilliant show, well done Jaquceline, awesome. The next afternoon we took a scenic drive along the Wellington coast before going to see Duncan Shouler (another old school friend) in Martinborogh and had a good take away and wine.


The next day together was horrible. We'd been knowing it was coming right from the start but not thinking about it. We solemly drove to wellington airport where we said goodbye and parted company. Saoirse heads onto Asia and I now move towards mexico. It was brilliant two weeks we had together.


I met up with Craig and Amanda from Wanganui that night and the nxt day drove all the way to Auckland. Breaking down n the way wasn't great but it was an easy fix to replace the power stearing belt. I stopped in Taupo and saw Pat from Paihia as she has started running her own coffee shop with Excitor dave called full of beans. I put Freedom into the car market and belive she has sold right away. it was strange letting go of the van but good to have only a bag again. And here i am now, one last fling in Paihia in the bay of islands before starting the next leg of the adventure, in Mexico.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Spray rainbow at Milford
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Milford sound
Golly...Golly...
Golly...

Saw these in a Scottish shop in Dunedin, can't believe they are sold here!
SunsetSunset
Sunset

on the road to Dunedin
Sperm WhaleSperm Whale
Sperm Whale

The good old blow hole!
Sperm WhaleSperm Whale
Sperm Whale

Diving down for 45 mins
The Wandering AlbatrossThe Wandering Albatross
The Wandering Albatross

the biggest bird in the world
SaoirseSaoirse
Saoirse

Freedom with Freedom in Freedom!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb