Continuing down the East coast of NZ South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 27th 2015
Published: January 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We did travel a little further down the coast and decided to stop at All Day Bay. There were 3 campervans parked on awide strip of grass next to the beach so we decided to jointhem. No sooner had we got the burgers on the bbq when the police arrived. They were searching for a wind surfer who was reported missing. About an hour later the police returned to report that he had been found safe and well in the next bay. I thought it was a nice touch for them to let us know. After a peaceful night freedom camping we resumed our trip down the East coast. First stop was the Moeraki boulders, six foot marbles on the shoreline created millions of years ago. Next stop was Shag Point were we saw fur seals and many sea birds. We continued into Dunedin on the scenic route via Warrington!

In Dunedin we refueled the van at 53p per litre then visited the Botanical Garden. The temperature was 27 and walking a round the garden was wonderful. We then travelled out to the Otago Peninsular. We stopped off at Lanarch Castle, really a large country house built by a rich Scot in victorian times and now being renovated by his family. We went right out to the end of the peninsular where there is an albatross colony. Big birds! As time was moving on we returned towards Dunedin and stopped at a recognised freedom camping place. Security guards visited us before dark to check that we were behaving ourselves and to remind us to be off the site by 8am. At 730 the nextmorning a knock on the van door by security reminded us to be on our way. This surprised our neighbours who had arrived after dark, they drove off in their nightclothes.

We stopped in a nearby layby to eat our breakfast and then motored into Dunedin for a look around. Some lovely victorian buildings including the much photographed railway station.

We then continued on down south picking up the Southern Scenic Route. No disappointment here the views are great. We took lunch by the side of Waihola lake. We went around Kaka Point and onto Jacks Bay. This was reached by 5 miles of unsealed road. Quite an experienced. We then put on our walking shoes and headed for Jacks Blowhole were a cave had collapsed and the sea rushes in 200 m and fills the crater. Little did we know when we started off that the walk meant going over the first headland. Some walk but proves we are fit enough to do it.

We decided to find a campsite with electric to charge up things ready for the next day. Campsite pretty run down but clean so serves the purpose. As it has internet able to write this and get quick chat with family.

Now Wednesday morning cooler with light rain. Will not upset us intrepid travellers after all we are British.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb