Wednesday 28th


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Invercargill
January 31st 2015
Published: January 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

A few days to catch up on as we have not had a reliable internet connection



On Wednesday we left the site at Pounawea and started off further along the southern scenic route. We stopped at Perakaunui Falls. This waterfall features in most tourism brochures and once appeared on postage stamps. It was a good walk to the falls and presented a good photo opportunity.Next stop was the Cathederal Caves. These can only be reached at low tide and this was not for another five hours so we had to give this one a miss. Instead we went to McLean Falls. This presented another demanding walk but the effort was worth while. We made lunch and recuperated before the drive into Invercargill. We went straight to the I-site (tourist information office) where they recommended the Central City Camping Park. This was a great choice. A 25 van site with superb amenities just 800 metres from the city centre.



We decided to explore the city before having dinner. We had only just left the campsite on foot and whilst looking at the city map to orientate ourselves a police car pulled up on the other side of the road. The police woman wound down the window and shouted "are you lost?". Before we could reply she had jumped out of the car and ran across the road to check that we were okay. Although we knew exactly where we were and where we wanted to go she offered advice on the best way into the city. We are amazed at the freindliness of New Zealanders.



The city is set out as a grid and the main street consists of Victorian and Edwardian buildings and has a distinctive colonial feel.



Back to the bbq and then a good nights sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb