After many hours we landed in TLV and drove home.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 19th 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

last week of the trip


In which our heroes reflect on this wonderful country that they are now leaving





We slowly converged on Christchurch this week. Very slowly not only because we avoided large cities for the last 2 months but also because is the place we fly off from ending our trip. So we lingered in the different stops on the way in many places just doing nothing except for seeing the views during the days and admiring the perfectly clear southern skies during the evenings. On the night before we had to return the campervan we slept near the Pacific Ocean right on Pegasus Bay. In the morning we bid farewell to this wonderfully large ocean. The bulletin board explaining the different tsunami warnings explained that there is nothing between us and South America. The ocean kept on going far after the horizon (not to worry, in case of an earthquake in Chile we would have a 12 hr warning). We still had almost a week left on our plans with 48 hrs to spend in Christchurch, a day in Bangkok and a whole bunch of flights, but for us this was the end of our vacation. I touched
Hoarse hear nebula  - IHoarse hear nebula  - IHoarse hear nebula - I

taken in a photoastornamy workshop in lake Tekapo
the water for the very last time wondering when I will see the great ocean again. We entered the car and drove to the nearest winery where we tested about 7 or 8 wines. Form there we drove to the nearest brewery and tasted the different beers on offer. Let me rephrase – we drank the different beers on offer.



And then we returned our campervan



Christchurch was lifeless and depressing following the earthquakes 2 years ago who’s effects are still very visible across town and was thus a fitting place to end our New Zealand adventure. On the last evening we ate at one of the best restaurants in the country but I would have traded it any day for a campervan meal of rice, in a stunning location and with a nice bottle of merlot.



What is unseen in photos





We took many photos on this trip. We also wrote a few words when we had the energy and muse. But neither capture the full experience.



How at 6am the songs of birds echo from tree to tree like the CD I bought a few years ago. How at this early hour you can spend watching Zohar smiling when at home I would be trying to get 1 more hour of sleep.



Or the faint scent of the summer blossom that can sometimes be smelled only barely when you are in a large field of colorful flowers and can sometimes just hit you in the face near a small yellow bush



Photos can’t capture the noise of the ripples traveling of the lake or the noise of the waves crashing on the rock all night. The way the unkempt grass sways in the wind. The way the seeds and leaves fall from the trees while driving that look like snow falling on the road. The smells of cut grass, the rain or the fresh salt air of the sea.the coldness of the mountain night when going out for a pee and then admiring the infinite number of stars in the universe and the warm breeze at noon near the ocean.



We could not capture in photos a kiwi bird in a dark enclosure. Or the way a Kea bird flights reviling his red feathers under the wing.



And the endless jabbering, singing and talking of Guni when I carry him on my back for hours – interfering with hearing the birds chirping but amusing all the way.



The aroma of the coffee. The sweetness of the dark ale and the full body of the wine. The relaxation of the sunsets.















Epilogue



15 hours after leaving Christchurch we were in hot and humid Bangkok.

There is something exotic about wondering around BKK that captures all your senses. The endless number of temples, food stalls and traffic combined with the chaotic city plan just surrounds you. We ended the day in the Khaosan. It’s such a young, sexy and travel friendly place that all I wanted to do was order 5 flight tickets to Vietnam or one of the Islands and continue our travels.

Instead we took a taxi, a train, a mini bus and an 11 hour flight. There’s something in the combination of a little pita and tiny plate of Hummus that brings you home…it literally does brings you home on ElAl…

After many hours we landed in TLV and drove home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

walk- I walk- I
walk- I

rob roy glacier trek


23rd December 2012

Fascinating.
Well written, interesting, inspiring and amusing, with a touch of poetry. The photos are excellent and several of them are stunning.
13th January 2013
Hoarse hear nebula  - I

Stunning :)
All your photos in this blog are great, but I really didn't expect a Nebula! Wow.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb