Christmas Day in NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 26th 2010
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 28

Santa brought sunshine! Started Christmas Day on the veranda of Alex’s house overlooking Dunedin city and harbour with croissants and cherries. Gloriously different from our normal Christmas. Toured the university before a stroll in the lovely Botanic Gardens and then off to the Railway Station for our Christmas present from Alex – a journey on the Taieri Gorge Railway from Dunedin to Pukerangi, some 58 km away to the north. It had meant to leave early in the morning but the railway company delayed the start until 1pm so that a cruise tour could be accommodated. As it turned out the cruise tour didn’t materialise due to windy conditions at sea somewhere and we were treated to a free lunch at other’s expense – even turkey in the roll and a mince pie! There was plenty to feed the vegetarian too. The rail company threw in a jolly Santa, crackers and Christmas cake so we didn’t have to provide a thing.

The rolling stock was a mixture of old and newish carriages and very comfortable. There were viewing platforms at the end of the carriages so we could wander around as the train wound its way alongside the river and gorge as we rose up to a plain some 250 metres above sea level at Pukerangi. We stopped several times to walk ahead of the train so that we could photograph it coming over the tallest bridges and also at rural stops so that locals could sell us souvenirs – yeh right. Alex invented the new sport of photographing people taking photos of people standing in font of signs. At one stop there was an alternative Santa in an inflatable outfit and we did wonder if there would be blows! Our Santa was seen in one of Alex’s photos stealthily boarding our train as the passengers were wandering off to look at souvenirs. It looked to all the world as if he was about to rob the train! Later Santa was seen selling stuff. In our day he used to give it away! The whole trip lasted for 4 and a half hours and was most enjoyable - a very memorable way to spend Christmas.

After an unexpected Christmas picnic, our planned Christmas dinner was seasonal roasted vegetables, with chicken kebabs for the meat eaters from Reading, and ciabatta, followed by strawberries, bananas, blueberries and cream. Yummy!

Finally, a Skype connection to other parts of the world. Amazed that Keri was still in Christmas Eve, Sarah and Joe in Christmas Morn and ourselves late on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas everyone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb