North of the South Island II


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 13th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kev ready to rideKev ready to rideKev ready to ride

Horse riding at Happy valley Adventures Farm
After the spit tour we went of to see Cape Farewell, the most northerly part of the south island, then round to Wharariki Beach on the top of the west coast….what a contrast to Golden Bay and Abel Tasman, wild and windy…. Beautiful but much too dangerous for swimming. We then went and had a look at Devils Boots …a couple of big rocks, strangely…. looking like a pair of huge boots. We walked through some nice rock fromations near Pohara. I persuaded Kev to drive right back round the bay, through Pohara, Tata Beach and Wainui Bay the into the Abel Tasman to Totaranui (which is usually the end of the walk from Marahua. 71km) I couldn’t persuade him to get a water taxi to Bark Bay and walk back (so we’d have walked the whole length) We then had to get back over Takaka Hill, past Nelson and on to Picton. We took a drive on a loop over the hills and round to Rarangi (up and coming place to be) and back to Picton. The journey over the hills was extreme…. I had to keep going in the back to clear up the carnage that was the back of the van….our home! shovelling stuff back into the cupboards, sorting out the fridge and retrieving the fire extinguisher which had unclipped itself and was crashing about and threatening to go off. We passed many pretty bays including Oyster Bay an old whaling station and Robin Hood Bay where we saw a wild boar grazing on the picnic area. Spent two nights on a DOC campsite. With no power, thus no pc or internet, Kev has taken to photographing himself, after several beers ( I think he’s scared of the dark, being in the wilderness)….. He thoroughly amuses himself while I studiously try and ignore him. (I think the photos tell all!)
Took a boat ride out to Ships Cove, the end of the Queen Charlotte track and walked about 10 miles back to Endeavour Inlet where we were picked up by water taxi. We saw a few of the rare Hectors dolphins on the way out but they were busy feeding and didn’t entertain us at all. Last week… isn’t it always the way…. about 5 Orcas including a couple of calves were seen in the area. They’d travelled the full length of the sound before turning and swimming away…... Bugger!
More piccies from the top of the south island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Tahunanui beachTahunanui beach
Tahunanui beach

These people were attending a beach wedding. The previous day was hot and still, today it was blowing a gale. The weather doesn't seem to dampen the NZ spirit
Huge black eelsHuge black eels
Huge black eels

Tame eels at Happy Valley
Plane coming in to land at NelsonPlane coming in to land at Nelson
Plane coming in to land at Nelson

Flightpath directly over the campsite.(The biggest in the southern hemisphere) (Note the table for sale!)
DOC site Marlborough SoundsDOC site Marlborough Sounds
DOC site Marlborough Sounds

Another haul-out site for a common white New Zealand campervan
Kev taking his photoKev taking his photo
Kev taking his photo

It was a dark, windy evening in a remote spot....Kev was drinking micro-brewery beer...
arhh...a full moonarhh...a full moon
arhh...a full moon

that'll explain it.
Kevs legsKevs legs
Kevs legs

He was almost wetting himsef for some reason.....then I realised.....
Prince Charles lookalike.............Prince Charles lookalike.............
Prince Charles lookalike.............

phat bloke on tour more like.


Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb