The rest of the south island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the 2nd stint in queenstown it was time to head north to the north island but plenty so see on the way. We decided to head for Franz Josef glacier. About 5 hours later and going the woçrong way for a while we arrived. The town is a dead one horse town with the odd passing tourist and thats about it, but we didnt expect much more to be honest. Next morning we arrive at the glacier nd i have to say it was very impressive. It was just a huge mass of moving ice which could move up to 1 meter forwards or backward a day!!! The ice was very compact and emitted a blue light from it. There were many people climbing it on guided tours so we decided to go over to it too even though we hadnt a tour guide. When we got there we took the usual photos, some which were in dangerous positions near the cave where river poured out. It was a case of run in , snap, run out. We climbed it also but without the proper equipment it was very difficult, slippery and freezing on the hands.

Our destination after the glacier was Nelson at the top of the south island........basically coz Jonas wanted to meet a girl he was with in Australia. I didnt mind skiping Christchurch as i heard from many people that it was a pretty dead city anyway. On the way we visited the "pancake stones" which were rocks formed like pankcakes by the sea. A few hours and a speeding ticket later we arrive in Nelson for 2 nights. It was quite a big town but again like most of New Zealand very quiet during the week. It was time to head to the north island......



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MartinMartin
Martin

we were bored in the bar so we played around with the cameras special effects
Jonas and his birdJonas and his bird
Jonas and his bird

2 days later she survived a very nasty bus crash where others werent so lucky.
Fighting IrishFighting Irish
Fighting Irish

These piss heads heard my accent and came over to tell me they were fighting irish like me. And who could argue with such a pose !!! :)


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb