The South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 29th 2007
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Upon arrival, New Zealand didn't seem to like us very much! We were greeted at the airport by an interrogation and then Tom unfortunately got to grips with the rather stict New Zealand attitiude to rules and regulations. He had an apple in his big rucksack which we had both totally forgotten about. After being searched and questioned on his intentions for the said apple, (Tom jokingly and sarcastically, replied hat he intended on eating it of all things) was fined a wopping $200!!! Madness really.

We left Christchurch asap in our very own set of wheels! Managed to find a rental car at a crazy low price as it is being sold in Aukland, so we are taking the old boy on his last rental voyage of New Zealand. Went jetboating up a glacier fed river. Did some fab 360 deg. turns and had the entire boat to ourselves!

Stopped in at my Aunts in Tmaru. Met one of cousins for the first time. Nice to catch up. Went to Mt Cook, literally felt like we were in a scene from Lord of the rings, stunning. Lake Tekapo and Pukaki were gourgeous. Turquoise water to die for. Rivaling the Canadian rockies!

After that it was off to Queenstown for St Paddy's. Great night out, loads of Irish travleing, we're starting to wonder if there are any Irish left in Ireland at all!Met up with Jade and Louise again!Two fun girls I met randomly in Thailand and now sem to keep meeting up with every few weeks.

Then it was off to Lake Wanaka and up the West coast to Glacier country. Across the country again through some random little towns. Stayed in a place called Reefton in an old nurses home with a bunch of super chatty oldr travelers and a bunch of miners. Oddly enough this tiny dorpie was the first place in the Southern Hemisphere to have electricity for the town. They are extremely proud of this and many locals will drop it into converstaion!

Last stop in the South Island was Kaikoura. The most incredible experience of New Zealand so far. We swum with a wild pod of dolphins. Apparently about 500 dolphins strong!!! It was out of this world. The wild dolphins are so intelligent and curious about you and totally interact with you chasing you in circles and playing with you. If you are ever in New Zealand this is a must do for sure!!

On to the North Island now.....

LOTS OF LOVE
JESS XXXXXX







Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



29th March 2007

lucky man
hey there dear ! what fab photos !!! i hope i can make it there someday :D im in england still. just got down to london ish area. been in harrogate/leeds/york area. you look absolutely gorgeous !! :D that tom is a lucky guy take care n happy travels xxxxx
30th March 2007

unforgettable moments!!
just love the gorgeous pics - "wyshe" i was 24 again!!!!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb