My first week in New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 19th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Night out in ChristchurchNight out in ChristchurchNight out in Christchurch

Fred, Patrick, Bekka and Stefan
Arrived in New Zealand late Friday night, checked into hostel, Base Backpackers.
Following morning, Bekka and I found Stefan (who had followed Bekka over from Oz) and sat down to discuss our route for the next week. Knowing I had Sarah arriving in 10 days, we planned to see parts of NZ that we wouldn 't include in our trip. After much discussion, we came up with a vauge route, but decided we'd hire a car and just see how it goes. Unfortunartly, our other girls had arrived a week before us and had already set off on a tight schedule as two of them were flying out of Auckland on 10th March. Therefore they were doing the South Island in 18 days and we were not able to catch up with them. Bekka and I were gutted as we miss them loads but we decided we didn't want to rush NZ, so are hoping to meet up with them again in Asia. Early evening we got last minutes tickets to a rugby game, The Crusaders (NZ team) v The Old Reds (Oz team). I've never watched a match on TV and don't really understand the rules, but men in tight shorts always sounds like fun so decided to give it a go. Stefan came too, along with two Swedish guys he had met (by the way, Stefan is Swedish, not sure i'd mentioned that), Patrick and Fredrick, who were both very funny. It was good fun and I actually got quite into the game. Afterwards we all returned to the hostel and then went out for a night our drinking. Git bit too drunk but much fun had! The next day Bekka and I met with her aunt and uncle who happened to be holidaying in NZ and were near by. Socialising on my hangover wasn't much fun, but I just about managed.

The following day, Bekka, Stefan and moi went white water rafting. About two hours out of Christchurch, on the Rangitata River. We rocked up at the cabin and were shown a vid of what we were about to do. I was already quite scared but after watching this, was Very scared. We all got kitted up (bikini, two thermals, a flease, a wet suit, a water proof, a life jacket, water botties and a helmet) and bundles into a van. At the river we were split
Our TeamOur TeamOur Team

Can you see me???
into groups, we were with an English couple and another guy (can't remember were from) and our guide. We started on calm water learning the techniques and then paddled towards the rapids. Although still as little scared, and adrenaline had kicked in and I was loving it. Fortunatly, we were in a slightly bigger boat than most of the other groups, as were a lot less lightly to flip, so that made me feel much better. We rafted down the rapids, up to Grade 5 and it was wicked fun. Two boats flipped over and we had to help people out the water, and at one point our boat was completely submerged and we were swimming in the boat, it was great!!! I didn't fall out as had both feet firmly wedged into the boat but did get totally soaked, tho not too cold which was fab as that had been one of my fears (am really rubbish at heating myself). We stopped off and people jumped off 10 metre high rocks into the water, but me and Bek opted out of this. On return to the cabin and after a hot shower, we had a BBQ and some wine. It was a really good day and am certain I will do it again with Sarah.

After a bit of decision making, Rich decided to come over and join us in NZ, so the next day, once again, the four of us set off on a road trip. Our first stop was only an hour from Christchurch, a beautiful town called Akaroa. We checked into our cheep but cheerful hotel and went for a walk around the town. The weather was lovely and the sun beginning to set, which looked fab against the back drop of the mountains. The next morning involved a very early start with us kayaking in the bay surrounding the town. We had been told that first thing we'd quite likely see Hector dolphins, this being the only place in the world where these dolphins can be seen in the wild). After some paddling and having got a fair way, we saw two dolpins swimming past Bekka and Stefans boat. They then swan around us for a little while and at one point were close enough to touch. It was breath taking having wild dolphins actually swimming underneath and so close to our boat. All together I think we saw about 8 (though we could never be sure whether we kept seeing the same ones). Slowly the sun came up and as we paddled back, once again the view was gorgeous. That afternoon we drove on to Lake Tekapo.

The next day we hired bikes and cycled some way round the lake. It was a beautiful blue day and the colour of the water was just amazing. I think this has been one of my favourate places as the views were beyond anything I've ever seen. Not being so nimble on the old mountain bike, I struggled a little on the gravel tracks but just about made it back in one piece (tho at one point I nearly needed Rich's inhailer). The afternoon was another drive to Wanaka, another pretty little town surrounded by huge, impressive mountains. Whilst in Wanaka we visited Puzzle World, which considered of crazy illusion rooms and a maze that Rich and Stefan got very competative over. Next we went to an indoor climbing centre where the boys went a bit crazy and we sat back and watched. But then after a while Bekka decided she wanted a go and I was peer pressured into attempting to climb to (despite my protests that I have NO upper body strength and would be rubbish!!). As predicted, I was crap and really struggled, but I was quite pleased with myself as I did make it up to the top of one (as pictures - yes i know its an easy one!!!). We then drove on to Queenstown and had a night out with a few people from Bekka and Stefans hostel.

After a late start, the next afternoon we walked up the mountain (as pictured) and had a go at luging (like little go karts). Being the whimp I am, I went really slow at first, whereas the others were racing down the advanced course almost immediatly. But I got better and speeded up, however on my last run, I got a cart that had dodgy breaks and I was smashing into the sides most of the way down - was v.scared and rather shaky by the time I reached the bottom. Me, Rich and Bekka then got the gondala back down, whereas Stefan decided to run down (crazy bastard!!) and actually managed to beat us down, doing it in 14 mins!! We then went into town and got huge icecreams from this amazing Gorment Icecream shop in town.

The next day we went on the Shotover Jet Boat, which races through the canyons on the Shotover River. It was quite cool and very clever the way the boat goes so so close to the rocks but never quite touches. Then in the afternoon, me, Rich and Stefan went Mad Dog River Boarding. This is basiclly where you are given a body board and you surf down the white water rapids. Once kitted up we walked down to the river and had a bit of the practise. I was immediatly terrified as I just couldn't get the hang of it. One of the guides tried to show me but I still really struggled and then panic more then he told me I was a 'gonna'. Me and another girl were put at the front with the guide, as we were both crap, and we set off. It was so tough as you had to hold yourself up on the board and kick for your life. I managed to do it though and as I was quite light I seemed to float to the front all the time. Half way down we had a rest and I was shattered, but I kept going and got sucked under several times but always managed to come up the other side unscathed. It was fun, though I was very scared most of the way down. Once we reached the end of the rapids, we were able to have a leisurely float down the river on a boards. The guides then produced a jet ski and we all took turns in clinging onto a board attached to the back and being wizzed around the river - was really cool. There was then a slide and swing to play on and I went down the slide on my board and skimmed across the water which I enjoyed muchly. Tho having watched Rich fall face first off the swing, I gave that a miss. Stefan was loving it, doing summer salts off the swing and other crazy stunts. I did enjoy it and was really pleased with myself for getting through without injury, but was very scared.

The next day, me and Rich had a restful day as were really beginning to ache, and then the following day (still in some pain) we visited a small town just outside of Queenstown called Arrowtown. We wandered around a Chinese settlement which I found really interesting and then returned for a very yummy choc pudding from the icecream shop and a walk around Queenstown Gardens. The following day we had a very long drive back to Christchruch. Sarah, my best friend from home was arriving that evening, so I was eagerly waiting at the airport for her arrival. After being delayed for 30 hours in Bali due to the plane having to make an emergency landing, she was very releaved to finally arrive and it was SOOOOO cool to see her.

The next day we spent hours planning our trip as I suddenly realised we only had 3 weeks to fit in both south and north island. We finally came up with a jam packed, action filled schedule and the following day we said goodbye to the others and set off.

Tales of Bec and Sarah's adventures to come ........


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Puzzle WorldPuzzle World
Puzzle World

Arn't I strong!!!
The montain we climbed upThe montain we climbed up
The montain we climbed up

Yes, all the way from the bottom to the top!!!


27th February 2007

Thanks for writing this wonderful blog Bec. Hope you and Sarah enjoy the rest of your trip round NZ. Still missing you! love Di

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb