Day 91: Heading to Westport‏


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Westport
March 10th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We had the morning to relax on the beach and get some sunbathing in before the chill of the South Island sets in further down the coast. The drive to Westport took about 4 hours so we had a tiptop ice-cream stop half way in a town called Mercherson. Westport is a small coal mining town but after dinner we headed back on the bus towards the coast for a walk. It went dark really quickly but the path was fairly easy to follow, unfortunately we couldn't tell if the seals were just rocks or not! We all congregated on the beach for an hour or so before heading back to the hostel.Bailey's bit: The hour congregation in the beach wasn't everyone huddled together, our driver had lit a bonfire with large trunks as benches. We had been pre warned and had remembered to pack some marshmallows so toasted them while star gazing at the Milky Way.Daily mileage: 7.5 (am) Attempted to get to Marahau, after 2 1/2 miles of climb I dropped for a mile or so to a marshland. I reached a cross roads which indicated it was another few miles of winding (and hilly) roads so decided to head back.3 (pm) managed to get out and do a very short session of 3*2 min with 1 min recovery around the blocks of Westport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb