Westport: seals and horses!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Westport
April 14th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Due to a very late arrival at our camping ground, we didn't manage to get up before sunrise to spot Penguins (as we'd planned to do). Instead we went to a seal colony just outside of Westport. There were about a hundred seals all resting on the rock colony. It seemed custom built as it had different areas for different ages and swimming ablities!

After lunch we decided to view the coast line on horse back. We were really lucky, as there were no other people about, so we went just the two of us (+ our guide) - very romantic! Both horses were very naughty and kept stopping to eat! Our guide gave us the chance to trot and to canter (the latter a lot more enjoyable, not just because it was faster, but it was also alot less painful!) On our way back we waded through a creek which was also fun. Afterwards we were both pretty stiff - Dom walked like John Wayne for the next couple of days!

After filling up right to the top with petrol (to avoid the skyhigh prices where we were heading!) we left Westport for Franz Joseph and Glacier country!
A closer viewA closer viewA closer view

"They look like giant slugs!"




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



23rd April 2007

hi
Just wanted to say that I can't believe how much you guys are squeezing in to your holiday - and you still have time to update this blog regularly - very impressive. Glad you're enjoying NZ! BTW Dom are you a Leeds fan or have I got that totally wrong?
24th April 2007

Leeds fan!
Joe, I will tell you if I am a Leeds fan in two games time.... (Bex thinks that makes me fickle!)

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb