Wonderful Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
March 18th 2006
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Getting over my disappointment of Franz Josef was made a little easier by our arrival in Wanaka. The journey from FJ to here went through some of the most goosebump-making scenery I have seen so far in NZ. It is hard to describe and most adjectives and pictures really cannot do it justice, so I don't think I am even going to attempt this challenge. Just take a look at the pics and see what you think. First of all we stopped at Lake Matheson, probably one of the most famous kettle lakes in NZ if not the world. Yes, those kettle lakes don't half get around in these glaciated countries. Again, the weather was not playing ball and the usual glass reflection of Mt Cook and the Fox glacier could not be seen in the still water. But I hope you can imagine it. Lake Hawea and Lake Wanaka are pictured below. The town Wanaka is on the southern shores of the lake, and is a small ski resort that comes alive in the winter (June-Oct), but it still had a lovely vibe about it now in late summer. Debs, Faye, Stephanie and I went to have food at the local cinema, Cinema Paradiso, and then watched an excellent film, The Constant Gardener. The whole cinema experience was enhanced by the mix and matched second hand sofas we sat in, and the hot cookies and tea we had at the half time interval, one of my most memorable evenings while travelling so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Murray?Murray?
Murray?

I didn't know you had a cafe here?!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb