Browned off


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
February 17th 2006
Published: February 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

He was deeply asleep. Faintly her piercing screams penetrated his unconsciousness. "Indie save me, save me". In milliseconds he was wide awake, leapt up from his sleep, wrenching his whip from its permanent position on his belt.
A terrifying scenario unfolded in front of his bleary eyes. His little lady was huddled in a corner one trembling arm outstretched, a finger pointing. "It's over there " she screamed.
The creature squatted there, very hairy and black, and stared at them unblinking. It was horrible. Huge eyes and legs everywhere. It's tongue came out and it licked it's lips.
Crack,snap - Indiana Targett's whip was a blur, but was no use in the confined space. The little lady was shrinking back into the corner trying to keep out of the way.
"For God's sake" she said "Can't you use a tea towel ? " Indie abandoned his whip and guns and cbeying the superior being he shook the spider out of the camper van window.

Went rock climbing yesterday near Wanaka, half way down South island. It was quite good. To start with we had the place to ourselves, and did a couple of easyish climbs, although higher than I am used to. A local school then turned up with an ex Yorkshire teacher in charge, who has been over here 20 years, and they did a take-over bid and put up 5 or 6 ropes for the children although they were only using about 2. We tried a much harder climb, didn't get v.far and left. Today there were a million climbers all over the crag. We have spoken to a young Scottish cleaner at our camp who is a climber and he has put us onto 2 more crage a bit further up the road later.
Chris-re surfing still dead keen, just lack of opportunity in South Island, surf non existant, too weak or too strong etc. We still have a little bit of time left though, otherwise see you in Brighton. Brighton ? you sure ? probably Cornwall.
Love from me Goodbye XXX

Cor lummy ... and they say women can chat!!

We have to back track a few days as neither of us mentioned the whale watching in Kaikoura.
We went up in a Piper Cherokee (very small plane!!) piloted by this chap Dan who only looked about 17. We had brilliant weather and we flew out over the bay (veiwed again later from the balcony of the vinyard during wine tasting) The flight was about 30/40 minutes and we spotted 3 sperm whale ... about 30' long, all three were on the surface spurting water. Two dived after about 20 minutes or so and on the second one, saw the tail come up as it dived.
What a privilege!!

Moving on, yesterday we drove to the foot of Mount Cook ... now that was really awesome as they say. Snow capped mountain reflected in the aquamarine lake below ..., surely one of the most beautiful sghts in NZ. I've taken loads of photos, but now of all times my camera has decided to play up big time. keeps jamming and we've bought a couple of the disposable type cameras hopefully to cover what the old one misses. Ithink it's coming to the end of it's life, but it has done me well.

Staying in Wanaka (although inlanmd, it's sited on a most beautiful lake) a few days then we travel the the Glaciers on the West Coast.

Hope you are all well. Love from us to you all. xxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb