Winding down, but the sun is shining.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Akaroa
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Since we last wrote the blog we have been through sun, rain and pestilence!!! And I'm not referring to John in the last item.

We left Wanaka (fabulous place) last Sunday morning. The weather was glorious - wall to wall sunshine and we had a fantastic drive to Haast on the West Coast on route to the glaciers. The senery was quite different from the brown gentle slopes and rock of Wanaka; we were now in rain forest country - towering mountains thick with vegetation right down to the roadside.

But .... oh the sandflies and other big back flies. Absolute bastards!!! They bite and draw blood. John braved the elements and sat outside the van smothered in insect repellant courtesy of Culpeppers in York (remember Fleur??) but with his shorts on his head!!!! Now I'm not sure if this last deterred the flies but it certainly deterred other campers ..... no-one wants to park next to the weirdo!!

We made our way up next day to the glaciers at Fox and Franze Joseph in
pouring rain ... and it rained, and it rained, and it rained!!! The mountains were completely obliterated by cloud for approx 2 and a half days. So no glaciers walks, hikes etc. But it diid clear briefly one evening and we saw a fantastic rainbow over the campsite .. we felt we could reach out and touch it. Incredible. The whole camp were out snapping away, apart from a couple in the next camper who were having it off!!!! Oh yes, we have seen life in NZ. This time, I did avert my gaze .. and then they drew the curtains!!

We moved on up North to Graymouth the next day still in pouring rain and came over yesterday from east coast to west through Arthurs Pass (incredible drive through the Southern Alps) and the sun came out and we are now in Akorea on the Banks Peninsular (the round bit that sticks out just below Christchurch) and just chilling and enjoying our last couple of days. It's a beautiful day .. we're going to have lunch in a minute, walks, wine tasting (now there's a surprise) and hopefully frind some beaches.

See you all too soon , nothing personal but UGH!! XXXX

Hello dear reader
Have you noticed that the world is going to cock since I have been non-contactable ?
Iraq ? - Everything will return to normal next week. Okay Tony ?

Just a couple of thoughts - This may not be entirely new to you.
Two dyslexic skiers reached the top of a mountain in the French Alps, about to ski down when one of them (known as Bill) whose name was Sebastian, said to his mate " Ben, I can't remember if we're supposed to Zig first then Zag, or Zag first then Zig, down the run"
His mate said , " I can't remember either. Look there'a a guy over there with a snowboard. Why don't you go and ask him. Bill went over and said, " Excuse me but my mate and I can't rember if we Zig then Zag, or Zag then Zig down the hill. Can you help us ?" The reply came, " I'm sorry but I'm a toboggonist."
" Oh that's all right," said Bill, " I'll have 20 Benson and Hedges and my mate will have a newspaper instead ".

Tommy Cooper eat your heart out.

Aukland - arse-achingly awful.
Wanaka - wonderful.
Akoroa - amazing.
Papa moa - pretty marvellous.

and

Whaketane - fantastic.


Goodbye dear reader see you in blighty. XXXX

Thanks for all your e mails It's good to talk as they say. Sorry if we haven't replyed to everything.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb