We're still here.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again! Traveling hasn't left us any time for using the internet these past few days. We'll try to catch up here.

The day after we visited Tiritiri Matangi we rented a car (a Nissan Sunny) and drove south to Waitomo for a cave-themed day. We did the very touristy walk-through tour of the Waitomo Caves complete with a Disneyesque boat ride at the end into a pitch black cave with glow worms carpeting the ceiling. We even got up close and personal with some cave wetas, New Zealand's giant prehistoric crickets. After lunch it was time for something a little more adventurous: black water rafting. We donned wetsuits and fit ourselves for inner tubes (hint: if your rear end can't fit through an inner tube, that tube will not be an effective flotation device for you) (And yes, it is winter in New Zealand. No, we didn't really think that through until after we were wearing cold damp wetsuits). Our guides led us floating and scrambling through an underground creek/river, including leaping backwards off of waterfalls in our tubes.

Day 5: We lounged lakeside in a hot pool in Rotorua before checking out many of the area's geothermal features. We wound up staying in Turangi that evening, just south of Taupo. We had wanted to hike the Tongariro Crossing, but the weather was so bad the guides wouldn't take us. We decided not to wait around for better weather in order to give ourselves plenty of time on the South Island.

Day 6: So, we drove south down highway 1 (past that cookie plane) and traveled all the way to Wellington by way of the Mt. Bruce preserve. It was pouring in Wellington that night, so we spent a long evening in a restaurant called the Matterhorn. I had some great fish, but Eric accidentally ordered rabbit jello. To his credit, he actually ate a fair amount of it.

Day 7: We dragged ourselves out of bed the next day to get on the ferry across the Cook Strait to Picton. The water was choppy; Eric puked; Eric felt better. Once on land we boarded the TransCoastal train to Christchurch. That evening we had the best meal so far of our trip at the Twisted Hops brewery and got to sample a number of their brews.

Day 8: We caught the 8:15 AM TransAlpine train to Greymouth. Rented a car in Greymouth and drove up to Punakaiki. Checked out the Pancake Rocks and blowholes.

Day 9: Woke up to pouring rain, but decided to hike anyway and were rewarded with an almost empty trail and decent weather after a bit. The trail was a creek in some parts, but the dripping forest was beautiful. In the afternoon we checked into the Te Nikau retreat hostel just north of Punakaiki. If you ever find yourselves in this area, this place is worth a stay. We had a small but very bright and airy cabin surrounded and hidden from view by the forest. It felt very luxurious for a hostel. In the evening we drove up to see the seal colony and had a great dinner in Westport at the Denniston Dog. We got to warm up and dry off by their coal burning stove and watched some Olympics (the Kiwi angle, anyway).

Day 10: Today we woke up very early to drive to Greymouth to catch a 7:15 AM bus to Wanaka, and here we are. Wanaka is billed as the less commercial, more real alternative to Queenstown for the skiing/alpine adventure set. We are planning to go cross country skiing tomorrow and stay in Wanaka for three nights total. (By the way, we are doing something other than eating. Sometimes.)



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The Cookie Time plane on Highway 1The Cookie Time plane on Highway 1
The Cookie Time plane on Highway 1

We saw a giant cookie plane. We had to stop and investigate.
Redwood in Mt. Bruce reserveRedwood in Mt. Bruce reserve
Redwood in Mt. Bruce reserve

We came all the way to New Zealand, and what do we find? There was even a sign teaching the children of New Zealand about Northern California trees.
KakaKaka
Kaka

We found ourselves in a Kaka mob when the Mt. Bruce staff started feeding them.
Eric in Springfield, NZEric in Springfield, NZ
Eric in Springfield, NZ

This the first stop on our TransAlpine train trip from Christchurch to Greymouth.
Mmmm... Springfield.Mmmm... Springfield.
Mmmm... Springfield.

Look closely and you will see a large donut with hot pink frosting in the distance. Bravo, Springfield.
Pancake Rocks, PunakaikiPancake Rocks, Punakaiki
Pancake Rocks, Punakaiki

You really need to see these things in person.
Horses loitering on the banks of the Punakaiki RiverHorses loitering on the banks of the Punakaiki River
Horses loitering on the banks of the Punakaiki River

We tried to get these horses to help us ford the river. They couldn't understand our accent.
Seal colony at Tauranga BaySeal colony at Tauranga Bay
Seal colony at Tauranga Bay

For all your adorable baby animal fur needs.
Weka at the seal colonyWeka at the seal colony
Weka at the seal colony

You can't go anywhere in New Zealand without meeting entertaining ground birds.


13th August 2008

Amazing!
What an adventure. You both look great. Have to try that rabbit jello. Ned
19th August 2008

food
Cookie planes, pancake rocks, giant pink donuts - New Zealand sounds very tasty, well, except for rabbit jello. Hope you're having an awesome time! :)
19th August 2008

Doh!
Imagine what it would of looked like if Eric puked after eating a bowl of glow worms! Mmmmm... Technicolor.
27th August 2008

cookies
Please tell me that plane has the ability to drop cookie bombs.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb