Where did the time go?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
August 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We fly out of Christchurch early tomorrow morning. We've gotten very comfortable in NZ, and we're sad to leave. But, we are excited for Vietnam!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Sheep Crossing Caution SignSheep Crossing Caution Sign
Sheep Crossing Caution Sign

This sign was on the road in front of a farm where they had gathered the whole flock with sheep dogs and were processing the sheep one at a time on a conveyor belt with a tight squeeze out at the end. We couldn't figure out what they were doing.
On our walk back to Wanaka from the Mt. Roy trailheadOn our walk back to Wanaka from the Mt. Roy trailhead
On our walk back to Wanaka from the Mt. Roy trailhead

there is a trail that uses easements from farmers. We climbed the stiles over some fences and found this guy pursuing us.
Trail home to Wanaka from Mt. RoyTrail home to Wanaka from Mt. Roy
Trail home to Wanaka from Mt. Roy

After the sheep pasture, we found these cows waiting for us at the next stile. They menaced us a bit then let us pass.
The perfect Speight's girlThe perfect Speight's girl
The perfect Speight's girl

In Dunedin we decided to tour Speight's--the pride of the south for over 100 years--brewery.
Royal albatross in flightRoyal albatross in flight
Royal albatross in flight

We visited the royal albatross nesting site on the Otago Peninsula, near Dunedin.
Cormorants at the albatross siteCormorants at the albatross site
Cormorants at the albatross site

These birds were building nests out of grass below where the albatross hung out.
Yellow eyed penguinsYellow eyed penguins
Yellow eyed penguins

We went to a sheep farm where the owner has created a series of blinds that allow people to get very close to these anti-social penguins.
Penguins commuting homePenguins commuting home
Penguins commuting home

These guys appeared one at a time on top of the hill by the beach and waited for the whole group to arrive before walking up toward their nests.
More penguinsMore penguins
More penguins

After we got to see these penguins, we had a wonderful night at Penguin Place, a lodge with great views of the bay. We lucked out and were the only ones staying there that night, so we had a peaceful evening (and had the laundry machines all to ourselves).
Hail in our footstepsHail in our footsteps
Hail in our footsteps

The weather here changes often. Our sunny walk on the Moeraki beach turned into a hail storm.
In AkaroaIn Akaroa
In Akaroa

We went to Akaroa today to swim with Hector's dolphins (the smallest of the dolphins--only about 3-4 feet long). Afterward we walked around the town, which was settled by French people way back and retains a French influence. This statue is of the French painter-**cough**--,who was stationed in Akaroa while in the Navy.


20th August 2008

Where did the time go
Eric looks great as a blond! All those sheep remind me of Amanda's 4-H sheep raising days.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb