Family vacation, NZ...


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
April 11th 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

First, my apologies to you all for the large number of photos on this edition. Actually, I have spared you, as between the three cameras that were working at times on this trip, we took nearly 1800 photos. Some I am saving for subsequent editions...some have been erased, some will not see the light of day again... So the Hotchkiss boys come to Noo Zilland again...They arrived on the 23rd and le... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Otago Peninsula...Otago Peninsula...
Otago Peninsula...

Where in the heck are those darned albatrosses...if you inflate this photo enough, you can see the seals snoozing on the rocks below.
So sad...So sad...
So sad...

Holy cow, what a lousy name for a highway, especially here in NZ. Actually named for the two towns it connects, an unfortunate coincidence. Too bad some local Democrat noticed and added the other moniker...actually should be "Former US Administration Highway..." or perhaps they didn't hear that Al lost the election.
Yet another fam shot...Yet another fam shot...
Yet another fam shot...

This one is at the Barnyard Backpackers hostel outside Te Anau.
The Fiordland Flyer...The Fiordland Flyer...
The Fiordland Flyer...

Catamaran type boat taking us across Lake Manapouri to the bus over Wilmot Pass.
My car on Lake Manapouri...My car on Lake Manapouri...
My car on Lake Manapouri...

My GPS knows where I am, but thinks I am driving my car through the middle of the lake...
The Fiordland Navigator...The Fiordland Navigator...
The Fiordland Navigator...

sails down, from our launch amidst the pouring rain as we took a brief voyage to investigate the foliage at close range.
The Mysterious Doubtful Sound...The Mysterious Doubtful Sound...
The Mysterious Doubtful Sound...

So named by the astute James Cook who, on discovering the mouth to the Tasman Sea, declined to enter, fearing, rightly, that a sail only powered ship might not be able to get out once in due to the winds prevailing from the east only one day in 30. He was probably right.
Another mountain appears out of the mist...Another mountain appears out of the mist...
Another mountain appears out of the mist...

Pressing onward into the rain...
Dueling kayaks...Dueling kayaks...
Dueling kayaks...

The type of activity that transpired prior to the fall...of...Mark into the water, much to the entertainment of everyone.
After the fall...After the fall...
After the fall...

Clinging to his kayak, Mark entertains the passengers and crew by being the first to swim in the Sound...many others (John and Matthew included) went in in a more conventional fashion.
Land of a thousand waterfalls...Land of a thousand waterfalls...
Land of a thousand waterfalls...

Rain pours off the sides of the fiord...
And yet another...And yet another...
And yet another...

Many of these waterfalls occur only with rain...a few remain through the rare dry spell...
A bit of enriched and really fresh water...A bit of enriched and really fresh water...
A bit of enriched and really fresh water...

The Navigator maneuvered itself close to the shore to enable the Nature Guide (from Holland, typical of all the non-Kiwis working in the travel industry), clad in raincoat and hat, to stand under the waterfall and collect some runoff for us to sample. Tastes a bit like dirt, but gee, I feel 10 years younger...
Dinner on the Navigator...Dinner on the Navigator...
Dinner on the Navigator...

Nice buffet dinner served after the "dunking," complete with the available "adult beverages."
Queenstown, fourth Starbucks on the South IslandQueenstown, fourth Starbucks on the South Island
Queenstown, fourth Starbucks on the South Island

This place really is becoming civilized after all.
Gondola above Queenstown...Gondola above Queenstown...
Gondola above Queenstown...

Getting off the gondola at the top...if you look closely, you can see Nahid and I in the car...
Queenstown before sundown...Queenstown before sundown...
Queenstown before sundown...

Shot from above before the sunset sets the sun..."The Remarkables" are seen in the background...and so they are.
Which is the reflection...Which is the reflection...
Which is the reflection...

Tricky shot by John I believe above Queenstown during a spectacular sunset.
Sundown above Queenstown...Sundown above Queenstown...
Sundown above Queenstown...

The fam from the restaurant at the top of the mountain overlooking Queenstown.
Inside the Kiwi...Inside the Kiwi...
Inside the Kiwi...

Display outside yet another captive kiwi area provides another place to have our photo taken...
Somewhere, over the rainbow...Somewhere, over the rainbow...
Somewhere, over the rainbow...

One of the multitude of rainbows we saw on our trip...



26th April 2009

Hi Jack and Nahid, thanks for sharing your adventures. What a blessing to have the boys there. We miss you. Matt and Krista

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb