Te Anau


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
May 26th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The weather on the bus down to Te Anau was miserable with lots of rain and we began to question whether we would actually see anything in Milford Sound when we got there. We were dropped at our hostel in the tiny village of Te Anau which is sort of the gateway to Milford Sound. That evening after eating we arranged a trip for the following day.

Milford Sound, is located in the south west of New Zealand. It runs 15 kilometres inland from the Tasman Sea and is surrounded by sheer cliffs.

We were collected early in the morning by our very cool glass roofed bus. The road to the fiord is absolutely stunning. It was still overcast for much of the day but thankfully never rained.

After the trip down along the spectacular winding road we jumped onto a lovely ferry which brought us around the fiord itself. The scenery was some of the most spectacular we had ever seen and definitely the best so far in New Zealand. The highlight is passing Mitre Peak which is really beautiful.

All of the rock faces had dozens of temporary waterfalls running down them (Thanks to the recent rain) alongside the permanent ones and our ferry passed under a number of them. After reaching the Tasman Sea we headed back to shore.

From there we were dropped back in to Te Anau and decided to treat ourselves to a couple of beers in The Moose Bar - A locals favourite. After a chilled evening we headed back to the hostel to pack.

Next stop Franz Josef...



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb