Milford Sound Cruise


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Milford Sound
October 30th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Milford SoundMilford SoundMilford Sound

And photos can't even capture how great it is.
Boarded the boat at 8.55am after crawling out of our "beds", board of wood in my case, however the gusting winds and fantastic scenery soon woke us up. Because we had a clear day we could totally appreciate Mitre Peak .
We also saw the three main waterfalls of Milford Sound, which were roaring over the mountains due to the rains of the day before.
All the trees visable on the surrounding mountains are actually all entertwined at the roots, thereby one falling causes and avalance of trees, seen by some of the clear paths they made while tumbling down.
This 22m long Fiord experiences around 6m of rain a year , and is also subject to earthquakes - one recently measuring 7 on the Richter Scale!!
As we crusied down the Fiord we stopped and actually hovered under one of the waterfalls, tehre is something magical about sitting under a waterdall, seeing this water that hit so many rocks it is basically mist pour from the heavens and envelop you.
As we moved on, when you looked back a rainbow stretched from one side of the waterfall to the other! Magical.
Penguins and seals also make apprearances along the way .
Seal Rock was better for communing with the wildlife as we watched them laze in the sun and clap their flippers occasionally, compleltly unpreturbed by the onlookers to their lives.
On the way back we stopped at the Observatory, which is great and really well presented, we saw black coral, which is in fact white. The gardens are like deepwater as the the water acts like sunglasses due to the t from the trees


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Avalance...Avalance...
Avalance...

Because all the roots of the trees are intertwined if there is an avalance a whole track is basically burned down the hill
WaterfallsWaterfalls
Waterfalls

There is nothing more amazing than having the mist of a raging waterfall hit you in the face!!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb