Picton to Queenstown & Northland loop


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 2nd 2013
Published: March 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Drove old, battered hire car west from Picton, route studded with scenic bays to Abel Tasman national park, stopping briefly en route at Nelson for hike to centre of NZ hilltop and a tasty pizza. Walked along the coastal track, with sandy bays, wobbly cable bridges and dense green forest; swam and kayaked in the (chilly) turquoise sea; and cruised to Tonga island marine reserve to visit basking seals.

Next headed southeast through mountain passes to Hanmer Springs, relaxing and swimming at luxurious spa resort while trying not to burn in the fierce sun. Continuing south reached small village at Lake Tekapo, eating at excellent Japanese restaurant and watching the sunset with Mts Cook & Tasman in the background. A quick climb to the Mt John observatory for a civilised cup of tea at the hilltop cafe, then continued along the lake to Mt Cook village. Firstly took stroll up Hooker valley to glacial lake, then a full day very steep hike to Mueller Hut, hearing loud avalanches echo across the valley and enjoying stunning mountain vistas as the clouds slowly lifted.

Arriving in Queenstown booked a half day mountain bike pass on the gondola, for a few tricky
TentTentTent

Proper bed inside !
but exhilarating downhill rides, twisting and bumping through the trees. Next day joined Routeburn tramp 3 day trip, staying in modern lodges with lots of good food and hot showers. Impressive views trekking above cloud-filled valleys with snow-clad mountains as a backdrop. Swam and jumped into freezing pools by waterfalls, and chatted with guides and mainly antipodean hikers in the evenings.

Flew back to Auckland for whistle-stop 3 day Northland tour, with a fabulous day sailing, kayaking and swimming at the Bay of Islands; a visit to the giant Kauri-tree forests in the west coast; and search for kiwi on a night walk through Trounson Kauri Park (heard two but unfortunately not seen). Next stop Fiji...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Split Apple rockSplit Apple rock
Split Apple rock

Name says it all...
Earland Falls, Routeburn Day 1Earland Falls, Routeburn Day 1
Earland Falls, Routeburn Day 1

Chilly swim at base...
Lake McKenzieLake McKenzie
Lake McKenzie

More cold swimming !


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb