South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 7th 2013
Published: February 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Queenstown, picked up the hire car and headed into town. It was Waitangi Day a national holiday and the cloud gradually cleared from the lake and presented us with a beautiful warm day. The town is on the edge of a huge lsmall the town is compact so it's easy to get around but I believe this is the Mecca for the adrenalin junkies so I don't really know what I am doing here!!!! Plenty to do, bungy, jet boats, zip wires, paragliding, skydiving the list goes on,actually when I think about it I have done some of these things so perhaps I am in the right place.

Decided to book a trip to Milford Sound as its a fairly long journey and driving would have been quite tiring and expensive in fuel. The journey was both informative and comfortable despite the arduous pick ups at the beginning. We made a few stops along the way one of which was the magical, mystical mountains of middle earth (Lord of the Rings). Along the way we saw the destruction the avalanches cause in the area with a whole section of mountain where the trees had been battered and broken in the wake of the snow. Also a section of road which was being repaired following a big landslide.

We arrived at Milford Sound wow!! Majestic and well worth the journey. We took a two hour trip into the fjord and eventually to the coastline. We saw some small seals sunbathing but not a lot else in terms of wild life. However the scenery was amazing, rocks that veered vertically from the water to the sky. Waterfalls were a bit feeble compared to when rain has fallen but still very pretty. Simply stunning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb