Fiordlands and changing plans


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
October 13th 2011
Published: October 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hall ArmHall ArmHall Arm

Doubtful Sound
The coach duly arrived and we loaded our 1 bag into the bowels of it. A 20 minute journey took us to the shores of Lake Manapouri where we checked in and picked up our "Deluxe Hamper Lunch" which was actually a small cardboard box but very nice all the same. The lake cruiser then took us at some speed over the water to where we were dropped off to cross Wilmot Pass over to Doubtful Sound. The weather was a bit iffy but not too bad at this point. A coach then took us over the mountain (on unpaved roads!) to the other side stopping off for some dramatic pictures (which I'll load at the weekend so don't forget to check back blog followers!)
We then joined a very impressive 3 masted schooner for our cruise. There were about 48 of us in total plus a crew of about a dozen or so. We were shown to our 'room' which consisted of 4 bunk beds where our co-habitee, George, was already ensconsed. Pleasant lad was George who was travelling with his parents and had to share a very small space with 2 snoring rugby followers!
Doubtful Sound was fantastic. The
Intrepid AdventurerIntrepid AdventurerIntrepid Adventurer

Precipie Sound
weather picked up and the scenery was spectacular and I even managed to kayak on it! Words cannot describe it so you'll just have to ask me to show the photos.
The next day saw us return to civilisation and a phone signal! This meant that we could call the local airport to confirm the flight plans to Milford Sound and then onto Queenstown. However, as we feared, the weather that morning (it was sheeting down) meant there would be no flights - bummer.
A quick plan B emerged and we caught the 1 pm coach from Te Anau to Queenstown arriving at 3 o clock in the afternoon to a large but very pleasant lake side town. Jet Boat the next day (with a hangover!) - stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Our AccomodationOur Accomodation
Our Accomodation

Cruise on Doubtful Sound


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb