Hitchhiking and Swing Dancing 101


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 12th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Locations

The green point is our new home, and the yellow point is the Remarkables Ski Field, where we have our season pass. The Red point is Coronet Peak, where we go up for practice (and it is closer and easier to get to).

Top 10 Signs You've Been in New Zealand For a While...

10. You can easily explain the difference between a kiwi, a Kiwi, and kiwifruit.
9. You think absolutely nothing of a cow or sheep jumping in front of your vehicle.
8. You dig into a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese (compliments of Mom and Dad) and think you've died and gone to heaven.
7. You're starting to think it's normal to come home to a house that is a constant 42 degrees INSIDE the house.
6. You watch movies such as "Australia" and "Finding Nemo" and don't even notice the accents.
5. Expressions such as "Sweet as," "Cheers," and "No worries" have slowly crept into your vocabulary.
4. You no longer need to mentally convert kilometers, kilograms, Celsius, milliliters, or grams.
3. You receive a US$1 bill for a tip and excitedly jump up and down because you've nearly forgotten what it looks like.
2. You finally (and without thinking) go to the right (and correct) side of the car to get into the driver's seat.
1. You think it is 100%!n(MISSING)ormal to pick up a hitchhiker or hitchhike yourself!

Which reminds me of my very first hitchhiking experience, a couple of weeks ago...

A blond, a brunette, and a redhead were standing on the side of the road, attempt to hitch a ride up to the Remarkables Ski Field. We figured our odds were pretty good that a passing guy would like at least one of us, right? Correct!! Literally the very first person that went by, an Aussie guy in a pick-up truck, pulled right over and invited all three of us to throw our boards in the bed and hop in! Let me assure you that hopping into a vehicle with a total and complete stranger is a VERY bizarre feeling. However, this being New Zealand, it is one of the preferred methods of transportation, so I figured I needed to try it at least once to have a full "Kiwi" experience. So I did, with a couple of girlfriends who assured me that it would be just fine.

And it was! Up the mountain we went in the back of this guy's pick-up truck, and off we went snowboarding all day. Late afternoon, we head down to the parking lot and figure it's going to be just as easy to hitch a ride back to the bottom of the mountain where my car was awaiting. Piece of cake, right? Wrong! We're standing there with our thumbs out for fifteen or twenty minutes, watching car after car zip right past us without giving us a second look. Perplexed, we look at each other, wondering why it's suddenly not so easy to get picked up. Then it dawns on me. We're all wearing our ski hats! Sure enough, as soon as we whip off our hats and let the hair fly, literally the next vehicle pulls over - two British guys who gladly offered us a ride to the bottom. The moral of the story is: If you're going to hitchhike, let your hair hang down. It will get you a ride every time!!

So it's been a busy couple of weeks! Winter season is here, and it is reminisce of our winter back home...all of a sudden, the streets are overflowing with cars, restaurants are packed, and people are buzzing around everywhere, mostly in their ski gear. The population of Queenstown swells from a modest 13,000 during the summer to (I'm told) as many as 30,000-40,000 during these couple months of winter. The hotel has gone from painfully quiet to an explosion of activity - most bar shifts I work don't end much before 1 or 2 in the morning now. Jeremy's crazy busy on his breakfast shifts, sometimes not getting home until mid-afternoon by the time they clean up and reset for the next day. After several months of quiet, we can't complain, but the contrast is shocking.

So! I know you're all wondering how our swing dance performance went to "Zoot Suit Riot" last weekend. Well, I'm happy to announce that it was (pardon the pun) a swingin' success!! We dressed our finest and headed out to the performance hall in Arrowtown, where we joined our friends for their bi-annual "Talent Night." Amongst the skits, songs, and dances represented were Grease, Back to the Future, Abba, The Sound of Music, New Kids on the Block, Footloose, and the Beatles. Jeremy and I, along with our friends Kylie, Mark, Jess, and Rafael, geared up for our '40's-style swing dance - and nailed it!!! Everyone loved it so much we actually ended up doing an encore performance at the end of the night. It was so much fun, it made all the sore muscles and long rehearsals from the past 6 weeks more than worth it! Somehow (this never happens), I managed to forget my camera, so I'm at the mercy of other people's photos. We did get a video, which unfortunately, due to our internet data restrictions, we can't upload at the moment, but for anyone who would like to see it, we're bringing a copy home, not to worry!

What else? Snowboarding has become our new obsession, the bug has most definitely bit us both. We've both improved dramatically the last two times we went, tackling the intermediate slopes and really working on getting our edges and improving the quality of our stops. On Saturday, we were actually going to try to go up the lifts for the first time, but alas, Jeremy forgot his wallet at home (hence, his lift pass)...so next time!! You'd be amazed how warm the mountain gets during the day when the sun is shining - we both end up going down to just a thin shirt halfway through the day. Our falls are getting more infrequent, though as our speed and confidence increases, the falls that we do take are a little harder! It is so much fun, I must admit...I wasn't expecting to like it nearly as much as I do. (I'm one of those types who typically gives up on something in about 30 seconds if I'm not good at it...patience is definitely NOT one of my virtues...)

Saturday was an "unofficial" anniversary for us - three years since our first date (geez, where does the time go, anyway?). We treated ourselves after a long day on the mountain to a steakhouse in town called "Flame"...and nearly died and went to heaven. Twelve ounces of juicy, cut-with-a-fork filet mignon, baked potatoes, a couple glasses of amazing South African Cabernet, and a dessert shot consisting of creme de menthe and a creamy African cordial called Amarula - similar to Bailey's Irish Cream, but with a fruity twist. Absolutely delicious - it was a splurge well worth it, as we've barely touched a steak since we've been in this country!

So, for the next couple of months, it would appear that our lives will be filled with long hours at the hotel and sneaking up the mountain to snowboard whenever we get the chance. Our district convention is the final weekend in August, and will require a 7-hour drive back to Christchurch for the long weekend. We are also (tentatively) planning a road trip of the South Island for the first week in September with our British friend Stacey and some of her friends who are flying over from the UK...but we'll see how it goes! For now, I can honestly say that for two pathetic Floridians, we're handling our first winter pretty darn good!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

And the Finale!!!And the Finale!!!
And the Finale!!!

Yes, Jeremy DID actually jump onto my lap!
Warming Up with Mulled WineWarming Up with Mulled Wine
Warming Up with Mulled Wine

Which is, essentially, red wine served cider-style - hot, mixed with honey, clove, cinnamon, and other yummy spices!!


12th July 2010
Blizzard...Outside Our Front Door!!

Blizzard?
Where exactly is the blizzard??
12th July 2010
Why We're Always Late to Work Now

Winter driving.
What about winter tires, Amy? Do you not have them or are they just not available? What is common?
12th July 2010

Up to the usual standard!!
Amy: Again, what wonderful photos. Where did you learn to dance like that? If I tried that, it would soon look like a scene out of Miami CSI. I don't suppose you've had any problems with stray cows or sheep jumping out in front of you on the ski hill??? :>) I continue to be fascinated by your depictions of life in NZ. Because I have lived astride both the English and the American cultures, it is doubly fascinating to see how things resonate on you. (I've said this before, I think.) Your photos of the snow in Queenstown ... does it melt quickly or stay for days at a time? On the whole, now that you've been around the country and in Queenstown for awhile, how would you describe the general standard of living down there? On the whole, would you say the average (non-university educated) bloke has a better deal at home in Florida or NZ? Would I be correct in my suspicion that if you were completely honest and objective, you'd have to say that both America and NZ have their advantages over the other? In short, a lot depends upon what you're used to? Anyway, been waiting for this report. Do be careful on those boards. I get chill-blaines just looking at 'em. cheers and hugs, Joe
12th July 2010

Response to Joe
Hi Joe, I'll try to get through all these questions! We have had MANY a stray farm animal jump in front of our vehicle; nearly hit a cow coming down off the ski fields last week. The big snow we had (pathetic by Canadian standards I'm sure!) actually lasted close to 2 weeks, which I'm told is highly unusual. We've now had very little or no snow since. For sure, there are advantages and disadvantages of life in both places. Life is much more laid-back and low-stress here; they get 6 weeks' paid vacation a year, for crying out loud! But cost of living is atrocious here; the "average" guy back home is going to be much more comfortable than here, I would have to say. Neither Jeremy nor I have ever worked so hard for so little pay. But, we didn't come here to get rich, we came for the experience, and it's certainly that! As far as I know, no winter tires. They grit the roads very well and everyone carries chains, but we have yet to use ours. And as far as the blizzard...hey, it looked like a blizzard to us!! :-)
12th July 2010

Missed Questions
As far as the swing dancing, we took 6 weeks' worth of lessons with our friends here to put together a 3-minute routine. It was so much fun! And as far as standard of living, I would have to say that although the air is cleaner and there are far fewer people, overall we have found the standard of living to be much lower than we're used to or expected. Things such as central air/heating barely even exist here, unless you are very wealthy or have a brand-new home. Electricity bills are double or triple what they are back home, and that's with hardly any appliances to run (very few people have dryers, for example, because of the costs; they hang clothes on a clothesline). Groceries are an absolute fortune - can't leave the supermarket without spending at least $100 - on nothing, really! And overall the food has been one of the biggest disappointments. We've had some good meals here and there, but overall, the good products get shipped overseas, and what's leftover isn't that great. Anything imported costs more than you could ever imagine ($30 for a pack of Budweiser, for example!). So definitely a lot of surprises, but it doesn't at all detract from the beauty of the place and the friendliness of the Kiwis.
12th July 2010

Love it!
You guys looked so cute in your dance outfits!! Love the hitchhiking stories...reminds me of my time in S. America...we hitchhike there too! You definitely get used to it, but it's a bit of a culture shock.
29th July 2010

Love your 40's outfit
Hi Amy and Jeremy: I continue to love your blogs and stories and pictures. I will be anxious to see the video of you dancing. I love your outfit!!! That is definitely me!! I want one!! Did you rent them or buy it? Anyway, you looked darling and I am sure that you both did a good job dancing. You will have to teach us when you come back. We miss you and always ask the folks about you. Love to you both from me and Don. Will catch you up on a private e-mail.
17th August 2010

ello--ello
Dearies, it has been awhile, miss and love youse. I can truly say i am enjoying being a blog part of your life.haha. Nice to know all is better with you both. Alot has happened in the past yr. whoosh. Hey by the way has the Bro. Seth Swanson? contacted you guys yet. Jei-lin has turned 1yr.and is sooooo delish. may Jah keep you and all of us in His Mighty Arms and LOVE xoxoxo mamacita
17th August 2010

Response to Teresita
Hi!! Good to hear from you too!! Nope, we have not heard from Seth yet...not that I'm aware of anyway...hope all is well with you, will see you in December!!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb