Queenstown is busy


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

22-23 February

Did you know that the population of New Zealand is just a bit less than that of Norway, and about the same as Colorado- in other words, about 4 million people. But New Zealand has 55 million sheep too! There are sheep everywhere - not in the towns and cities, but all over in the rural areas there are sheep grazing. Most of them are white, but we have seen a few “black sheep” too.

Gunnar is doing a remarkably good job of driving on the wrong/other/left side of the road. His only consistent problem has been that each time he thinks he is turning on his turn signal, he turns on the windshield wipers instead!

Wednesday, 22nd, we tried to see Mt. Cook which is supposed to be a most remarkable sight. But the weather was not with us. When we approached, it was raining and quite foggy. So we drove as far as we could; the road ended at the Hermitage Hotel, which is supposed to be New Zealand’s finest - which we, of course, could not afford. So we looked around, used the internet room and the restrooms. Then we thought about walking up to see the Tazman glacier, but again the rain deterred us.

Today, 23rd, we arrived in Queenstown this afternoon - quite a tourist spot- mostly for those who want to take part in the “sports” here like bungy jumping, skydiving, paragliding, white water rafting etc. We did take the gondola to the top of the mountain and walked around and spent some time looking at the most incredible scenery. It was definitely a gorgeous and very special view from the top. We wanted to see someone bungy jump, but there was no-one about to take the leap, so we decided we could see it tomorrow.

The New Zealanders seem to enjoy life and have a sense of humor. We saw two interesting things today: first, leaving town where we stayed last night, all along both sides of the road were little piles of rocks - some rather artistically put together. When we asked about them, they told us that no one really knows what they mean or who is doing it, but people keep adding to these piles of rocks.

Then later today, we passed a chain fence full of bras - tied to the fence: every color and every size. There was a sign asking “bras only, please”. We were not the only ones taking pictures!

We ate dinner at a bar and grill, and when I asked the waitress about the tv channels here, she said: “I wouldn’t know, I am from Norway”. She was a real cute girl and we had a nice chat. She and a guy friend (maybe boyfriend and maybe just friend) are traveling around and they decided to stop here for a while so he could do some fly fishing and she could earn some money.

Speaking of money, my cell phone doesn’t work here, but should, and neither of our debit cards would work in the ATM today - but should. I hope we can resolve these problems soon.

We have had trouble finding a place to stay the last couple of nights since it is high high season here - so we are staying in places that I don’t really like and hope not to have to repeat after tonight. At least tomorrow night will be our last “reservation-less place”.

It has gotten cooler and today was very windy. Since my coat was left at the car-rental depot, it is a good thing Gunnar brought two jackets. I hope we return to the warmth soon - but at least there has been no rain today.


PS sorry, but still no pictures -

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb