Watching seals, saving a hedgehog, eating chocolate and bungy jumping!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 7th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

here are the fur seals
So continuing where I left off.
Down the road from the amazing boulders was a place where you could watch fur seals.
We weren't expecting to see too much but thought we would check it out.
There were a lot of lazy seals all over the rocks! I guess they are pretty predictable and they sunbathe and sleep on the rocks daily.
We got pretty close to them, and then decided to back it up a bit as its their territory.
Some were hopping around like they, some were fighting and lots were sleeping or keeping an eye on us.
After this we had a bit of a drove down the coast to get to Dunedin.
While in this town we checked out the railway station, a church, there is an octagon with shops, visited the cadbury's Chocolate Factory, saw albatross and learned about them, and of course tons of sheep.
There is some stat that there aremore sheep than people in NZ.
After a quick stay in Dunedin we got back to the road and headed over to Queenstown.
This place has every activity imaginable, so since we are on somewhat of a budget we had to decide what we
222

there are 4 in this pic
wanted to do.
After some thought Dave said lets do bungy jumping...I was hoping he would say lets go on a jetboat or somthing.
One morning we went into the bungy shop inquired about the difference between some of the jumps and decided and booked one from a bridge.
It was called Kawarau Bridge, and its the first place where it was commercialized.
Plus this one was the one where they tie your feet up and you hang, while the other was you had a body harness on, and that wasnt daring enough for us.
We had no idea what we were getting into, the guys strapped us in and told us to go the the ledge smile for a pic and jump on 3-2-1.
Dave went first, brave one he is!!
His hands on touched the water, but thats what he wanted.
I only wanted to touch it too...but the guy said if you dive out you will touch it but if you just fall and dont jump out you will get dunked.
I said ok, i will dive and do not want to get dunked.
When the countdown was on 3--2--1 i didnt move, and the guy had
333

these 2 were the active ones
to kind of push me.
So there was no diving at all and needless to say i got dunked up to my hips and was soaked!!
That is half the fun, so it wasnt a big deal. It was just really windy and cold!!
Dave remembers more than i do from it, it happens very quickly.
We are glad we did it and I still cannot believe it did it!
Later that afternoon we took a gondola ride tot he top of Queenstown and had lunch above the city.
The views were perfect here!
There was another bungy operation right next to the top so we stayed there and watch a few guys jump.
This one wasnt over water and they didnt seem to go down as far as we did, so we were pleased that we jumped at the bridge.
Queenstown was a beautiful town, lots to do and of course activities for everyone.



Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

44
4

the sign post explaining about the seals
66
6

another viewing point for the seals. but there were way more seagulls here.
77
7

so happy to be surrounded by the seagulls
99
9

leaving the viewing point
1010
10

the railway station in Dunedin.
1111
11

again the railway station
1212
12

dave so excited to have a sleeping bag finally!!
1313
13

an old churchin the middle of the town
1414
14

going for a tour inside the Cadbury's Chocloate Factory...yum yum yum we love Cadbury's is what they made us chant!! haha
1616
16

self explanatory.
1818
18

the walking path to the top
2121
21

view while driving
2020
20

on the sode of the road...but i am not sure what to call this animal.


8th December 2008

Great shots
These photos are excellent, Ash! You should take a lot more shots while you are in this beautiful country! Enjoy and Happy Holidays!!! We had a dusting of snow last night and it is cold and windy today! Love you!

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb