ExploringNZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
December 14th 2008
Published: December 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

111

AnAmerica' sCupBoat
The first place on this blog was a place called puzzling world in Wanaka. When we first arrived we went into a huge maze and Dave and I raced to see who could get out fastest. you can guess who you think won!
there was a room where a pool ball went up a slanted table, and faces followed you when you walked, and a lot of Escher pictures.
Then we had a bit of a drive to a place called Fox Glacier.
It was pouring rain so we kinda had a reading day in the campervan and relaxed. We also signed up for a Glacier hike, only a half day though...dont think I could make it up a full day hike.
As the morning rolled around it was still pouring rain so we went in and were big sissies and cancelled the hike.
there wasnt much else to see in this town so we drove up to Franz Joseph, another town known for its glacier.
We signed up again for a half day hike and decided we were going to to id rain or shine. We werent going to be in this town for more than one day so we
222

a cool place... puzzling world it was called
had to do it.
The weather wound up being PERFECT!!
The sun was shining and it wasnt too cold. The hike was amazing, we had great views, got to walk in an ice cave, saw a waterfall and got to put on crampons which were fun to walk in.
After the hike we had something to eat in the little town and continued on to a place called Arthur's Pass.
the beautiful weather continued to follow us, and we got to go on a few hiking trails and see waterfalls.
In the town there were a bunch of Kea's, big green birds with colorful feathers.
They are known to be cheeky and inquisitive.
It was funny to see them come right up to you as you were eating, and they also jump on cars and try to pull the wiper blades off or any rubber on the car.
they were fun.
Back on the road and we stopped at a replica minig town called Shantytown.
While there we panned for gold and got to keep a tiny bit of the gold flakes we panned!
Then we were in a place that is only known for their Pancake Rocks.
The rocks
333

Puzzling World outside of Wanaka
are layered ontop of eachother and during high tide the sea comes crashing onto them and creates blowholes.
We got to see a tiny blowhole but it wasnt too impressive, but at least we saw the rocks.
The campsite we stayed at that night was right on a rocky beach. We sat there for a while and I dug for the best rocks on the beach. There were all sorts of colorful rocks and the sunset was so peaceful.
We also went to a place called the WOW museum. It Museum of Wearable Art, and it takes place each year and designers make costumes out of all sorts of things.
Then we were in the port town of Picton. this was a cute little town and we were here for one night waiting for our car ferry to take us from the South Island over to the North Island.
the Interislander ferry was rough even though the sea was calm, we couldnt figure this out. In 3 and a half hours we were over in Wellington.
The first thing we had to do while in Wellington was the Te Papa Museum. It was HUGE and free. We learned a bit
444

i am so much bigger than dave
about Maori culture, saw a huge squid.
while in town we saw the parlament building, took a cable car ride, walked through the botanical gardens and saw a few other art galleries and more museums.
We have a lot of pictures of the beautiful scenery while driving many many kilometers from Wellington up to Taupo.
We spent one night in Tongariro National Park, took more hikes through the bush and finally we are up north in Lake Taupo.
finally we are up to date on all of the photos...there are a lot to look at so take your time.
Only a few more days in this AMAZING country and we are sad about that.
We started figuring out what to do while in LA and where to stay...then its Christmas time.
love to all



Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

66
6

he is very smart! putting puzzles together
77
7

holding it up all by myself
88
8

at Lake Wanaka and this guy in the boat was walking his dog...strange
1010
10

a big huge hand
1111
11

being a big kid at the playground
1212
12

another lookout point
1313
13

Lake Matheson, this is one of the most photographed spots in the country because of the beautiful reflections it creates when the water is calm
1515
15

the sky is yellowish now
1616
16

and pink now
1818
18

going for a walk, on the beach, through a lagoon and into a rainforest! it was a long one
2020
20

amazing view as always
2121
21

self timer!


17th December 2008

love it
i love all the beautiful pics, my personal fav is 62! weird thing, i love the clouds tooo!!

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb