Riding The Shotover Jet


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
September 5th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Us on the shotover Jet ... Us on the shotover Jet ... Us on the shotover Jet ...

Can you spot all of us - Mark Chrissie Mum and Dad?
Day 525 (4.9.08)

Today was Jet boating day - a wedding prezzie from Mary, Nick, Niki and Chris - thanks guys. From Cromwell it was an hour or so drive over to the river so (in true Hayward style) we allowed for a little extra just to make sure. With a fresh snowfall on the hills it was good to have a little extra time to stop and take in some of the breathtaking views along the way.

Arriving at the Shotover River, we pulled together our wet weather gear and went to check in at the desk. After a safety loo stop (well you wouldn’t want to be caught short in a jet boat) we met our fellow Jetboaters at the waters edge and were given our extra splash jacket.

A couple of quick piccies on the bank and before long we were in the boat. We managed to get the front two seats with the olds (mum and dad) safely installed behind us. The boat was a pretty small red pleasure boat size with two HUGE - water jet engines to both propel and steer the craft. It wasn’t long before we were hurtling up stream just to get us used to the boat and coming back for our first 360 degree turn and the obligatory photo. We were then treated to a thrilling 30min ride down and back along the river through narrow canyons, scraping past rocky outcrops, going over impossibly shallow waters and throwing us around a load more 360’s - it was amazing and I’m not sure we stopped laughing throughout the whole thing. Dad, who had positioned himself on the edge, managed to take most of the brunt of the soakings coming off the boat looking a little drowned rattish but along with mum sporting a teenage type grin splashed across their faces.

Dried off under the toilet hand driers dad joined us at the café next door for a coffee and plate of chips - although we don’t usually do this! By now you might have noticed that we quite often do do these things!

We carried onto Arrowtown and found ourselves a fantastic two bedroom pad for the night. After lunch a picnic lunch at the motel we went out explore the area, first stopping at the AJ Hackett Bungee centre, then the Gibbston Valley Vineyard and Cheesery before going back into Arrowtown for a wander through the town.

Retaining a lot of the heritage listed buildings from the gold rush era we thought it was a great and quite a beautiful place for a walk.

As the sun was starting to set we went for a final drive of the day on the road toward the ski fields in the area giving us an amazing view over the valley and snowy mountains beyond.

Back to the comfort of our pad we had yet another stunning dinner of smoked salmon starter (from the farm a couple of days before) and steak - these posh 2/3 course meals were becoming something of a habit - no complaints here!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb