Day Seventy Seven


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
August 4th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Holy cow. We have covered a lot of ground.

We are so bummed that we haven't been able to post pictures for you all. In the past week, all of the internet cafes have either been too slow to load an image or they won't let you open files to post them on the website. Oh well, you will see them soon enough!

We spent a night at a backpackers in Hokitika, then got up early to drive down to Fox Glacier. We booked a guide and were all suited up by noon. Our group was pretty small, only 7 people plus our guide, and we hiked up the side of the valley for about an hour. The probability that we would all die in a landslide or from rock fall was high, but the tours go on anyway. It was raining for most of the trip, but the hike up to the glacier was so intense that it felt great. We were given alpenstocks and crampons, and the next thing we knew, we were walking around on a giant body of ice. You would not believe how blue and how massive and how unbelievable this glacier was. There are giant splits and cravaces that disappear down for hundreds of feet, and streams that carve their way through the glacier and make tunnels and ponds. It was better than I ever thought it could be.

We slept in our van there by the glacier, then got up this morning to drive to Queenstown. We took our time, though, and hiked around at the clear blue mountain pools, skipped rocks on the river, had lunch in Wanaka, etc.

We are staying in Queenstown tonight at another backpackers, and tomorrow is our fly-cruise-fly trip out over the Fiordland to Milford Sound! Wish we could show you! Haha!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th August 2008

You
Hey you two! That's too bad about the weather cancelling your flight! Maybe you'll have another chance. I can't wait to see photos (have I said that before?) Raman noodles sound gross, but it sounds like you two are eating pretty good most of the time! Love you! Mom Bobbi

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb