Queenstown Disc Golf


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 10th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey hey!

Hope this email finds you well!

Only 3 weeks until my program is completed—however, I may not be returning on April 15th; I am having the time of my life traveling and I do not want it to end. I am looking into other destination possibilities before returning to the U.S. I will keep you updated as I figure out my plans.

Queenstown is known as the “Adventure Capital of the World” because it offers an amazing array of activities for thrill seekers—bungee jumping, skydiving, jet boating, helicopter rides, canyon swings and of course disc golf. The city is nestled on the shores of Lake Wakatipu and is surrounded by the “Remarkables” mountain range—a part of the snow-capped Southern Alps. The city center resembles a European town—city down by the water, residential houses located on the hillside, classical architecture, great pubs and lots of activities. Very touristy, but also very beautiful.

I left on Friday morning, March 10, with 3 New Zealanders in a van (old school van) to drive down to Queenstown. The trip was relatively uneventful, minus the screeching/slamming of the brakes and the near tip over (literally were on two wheels……scary as all hell!). The countryside on the way to Queenstown is beautiful. I had already seen much of it due to the Mt. Cook/Fox Glacier trip, but loved seeing it again.

We arrived in Queenstown around 4pm—about an hour before the first round of the tournament at the Queenstown Gardens. The course (basket course) was beautiful and located right in the center of the city. I played brilliantly and after the first round, was in first place!! We left Gardens and walked into the city center for food and drinks. The town has a great nightlife—lots of young people around and about. After some partying, we drove another 30 minutes into the mountains past the town of Glenorchy and onto Paradise Valley. In my experience, if you ask native Kiwi’s where the most beautiful location in New Zealand is, you will hear a resounding, “Glenorchy and Paradise Valley.” Numerous “Lord of the Rings” scenes were filmed in Glenorchy and Paradise Valley, including (for you really big LOR dorks): Edoras/Mt. Sunday, Lothlorien, Amon Hen, Nen Hithoel, Amon Lhaw, Path Galen, Ford of Bruinen, The Pillars of the King on the River Anduin, and the site of Gandalf's ride to Isengard.

We arrived at the “White House” cabin in Paradise Valley at dark and unloaded our stuff just in time to play “Speed Scrabble” and glow-in-the-dark Frisbee amongst the 11 of us (7 other people from Christchurch met us in Paradise Valley). I shook off the cobwebs in the morning on Saturday just in time for the Doubles Tournament at Paradise Valley. Paradise Valley is also a beautiful course even though it is primarily a target course. The front nine winds up and through the “Remarkables” mountain range, while the back nine winds down and through the dense Paradise Valley rainforest. The course is very difficult. My partner, Dave, and I worked together well enough to take 6th place out of 18 teams. After the doubles competition, we played the second round of the singles competition……I did not hold onto my lead for very long…..my arm was dead and the really good players started playing really, really well. We grilled out and then partied again….surprise, surprise!

On Sunday, we drove into Queenstown to complete the last two rounds of the singles tournament in the Queenstown Gardens. I played poorly, but was still able to take 11th place out of 50+ competitors. No trophy to bring home, however, I did receive a souvenir t-shirt for my efforts!

It was an awesome weekend—a real New Zealand experience with some great dudes and girls. I will guarantee that no one in my program had an experience like this. I was a little apprehensive about not knowing anyone (except for 1 guy (Pete) in the van on the way to Queenstown, everyone was a complete stranger), but everyone was incredibly friendly and very hospitable.

Until my next update—lots of love!

A



Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Queenstown Gardens Disc GolfQueenstown Gardens Disc Golf
Queenstown Gardens Disc Golf

Hole #9. This was from the first day of the tournament. I was on fire and shot -4 under par.
"White House" Cabin"White House" Cabin
"White House" Cabin

11 people total slept in this cabin on Friday and Saturday nights (3/10-3/11). The cabin was located between Glenorchy and Paradise Valley.
My Bed at the White HouseMy Bed at the White House
My Bed at the White House

Looks cozy doesn't it?
Paradise Valley Doubles CourseParadise Valley Doubles Course
Paradise Valley Doubles Course

This is hole #7 on the Paradise Valley course. The course was comprised of baskets and targets--this being a target obviously. The doubles pairing that Dave and I were playing with hit back to back hole-in-one's on this hole by throwing their disc under the bench. Looks pretty easy from this picture, but the hole is a blind hole from the tee box.
Paradise Valley Front 9Paradise Valley Front 9
Paradise Valley Front 9

The front nine takes players up through the mountains---amazing views on a beautiful day!
Doubles Partner: DaveDoubles Partner: Dave
Doubles Partner: Dave

The first game on Saturday morning was a one-round doubles competition. Dave, an ultimate frisbee player, and I combined forces to take 6th place out of 18 teams. And yes, I know my shirt is bad ass.


26th March 2007

WOW!! That's all I can say. What incredible pics!! Get home quick and help Alicia find a summer job!!! Love you.
9th April 2007

WTF indeed
Andy - have no idea what the heck that pic would be of....however, maybe a emergency enima machine? Or a 'companion' for those lonely disc golfers? Glad you are having fun buddy...that place looks incredible to say the least. Makes me want to head down there!

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb