Count down from three, no turn around, should I take a running start, you're sure it's deep enough?!?!?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
February 8th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 2: 8-2-10
We continued heading north towards Picton on the quest to pick up Eric’s friend Will. We reached Picton around noon where Will showed us where to get the most delicious meat pies and ice cream fruit smoothies. We waited the token 20 minutes and then headed for a river to cool off. The river was a completely hidden locals hangout which could only be found by those who already knew where it was...lucky for us, Will knew the way.

By the way, according to sources it is legal to walk around New Zealand anywhere barefooted. Not sure if that is completely true but from hence forth my shoes received very little action. I found this new freedom to be fantastic!

Back to the river though, the other cool thing about this river was that it was pretty deep in parts and had an awesome cliff that jutted out and served as a perfect platform for jumping. The only problem was that just under the main jumping point rested another rock that jutted out a little further and needed to be cleared on your way down to the water. After much coaxing and watching the other three
ice creamice creamice cream

ice cream and cake do the ice cream and cake! Well there was no cake but the ice cream was cause for celebration.
brave souls jump off in fits of joy it was finally my turn. Might I add that 10 meters looks more like 20 when your standing at the top looking down. After gathering up much courage I jumped...well maybe, depending on if my mother is reading this entry because in that case I didn't do it.

That day I won for most scared and Abby won for best landing...

The night was spent laying on Tata beach under the stars with the warmth of a campfire burning beside us. I saw the most stars I had ever seen at a given time, beating out the overlook in KS. What was really cool to was the placement of them all. Orion was upside-down and twisted and the Southern cross was visible.

Camper-van lesson number 2: Seashells are less pretty when you are walking barefoot on a beach of jaggy ones.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

campfire!campfire!
campfire!

best campfire maker ever
sunsetsunset
sunset

sunset at Tata Beach
firefire
fire

bonfire on the beach...no better way to spend an evening.


23rd February 2010

Yes, I'm reading
Yes, I read that about cliff jumping and of course I disapprove. Your description of the night sky makes me want to jump on a plane and head to New Zealand to see it myself!! All the city lights in our areas make it impossible to see much. The bonfire looks sooo inviting.
5th March 2010

Campfire
Hello Lindsay. We are really enjoying your travel blog. We're glad you're having a good time. Your campfire story reminded us of when we used to make campfires at your summer house in Wisconsin. We used to tell Indian stories and have such fun. The stars sound beautiful also. Take care.
6th March 2010

Beautiful Blog as you are Beautiful Niece!
I have your mommy here sitting down on a hassock and enjoying the tour through New Zealand. Zoe was here to see the show and got hungry, so she stepped out to grab a snack with Fluffy her favorite stuffed animal friend.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb