Crossing to South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
April 10th 2007
Published: April 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving A & N, we caught the Wellington to Picton ferry, which is a 3 hour journey from North to South. It's a very picturesque trip, especially when you get to the south island as you travel between lots of small islands.

We spent some time in Picton, but there's not really much there so we picked up a new hire car and headed south a bit to Marlborourgh. Unfortunately we missed the turning for the scenic coastal route and ended up on the main road, but it's all relative and it was still a nice journey.

That night we stayed in a cheap motel and went out to a local tavern for a meal. Obviously everyone stopped talking and turned to look at us as we walked through the door. We had a drink in the bar and then went out the back to their restaurant. They were having a "steak and salad" night which sounded good. However we couldn't understand what the waitress was saying and Emma thought she "had" to have steak which she didn't want. We got sorted and Matt had a really nice steak and chips and Emma had a seafood platter, which turned out to be about 6 different fresh fish, but all deep fat fried....

The Marlborough area is famed for its wine and vineyards so the next morning we visited a winary where we had a tour, were taught how to taste wine properly and got to sample four different wines from the area. Needless to say, Emma drove when we left...




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.7kb