Wanaka and Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
August 22nd 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Going South from Queenstown


QueenstownQueenstownQueenstown

View from the backpacker in Queenstown
After getting over Haast pass we headed into Wanaka and tried to find a place to stay there for the night. Since Wanaka and Queenstown are both the place to go for skiing and since it is still winter and one of the coldest winters in a long time here...we couldn't get into any of the backpackers in town. We did manage to get a douple room in the Holiday Park. This double was a building make of just concrete walls and it had a bed that kinda felt like a slab foam and not in a good way. Like if you just sat down in the middle the sides would bend up so that the top and bottom of the bed were not actually touching the bed frame. I can't complain too much as it was better than the ground and I have stayed in much worse beds before. In the morning we went to Puzzleing World which had a maze and a bunch of illuisions. Then we headed out to Queenstown. We got to queenstown early enough that we were able to find a backpackers that was not vacant. Queenstown was kinda like Vail in that there are a ton of people there and it was built up to be a very touristy place and has become the excitment capital of the country. We didn't do anything crazy like bunjy jumping, or canyon swinging, or skydiving, or jet boating, or river rafting because none of it appealed to us enough at the time for the cost that they were asking. So we just cruzed the town and looked in all the shops and ended up going to a Mexican Resturant for dinner. They were not able to get it right...one thing that I really miss is the Mexican food and salsa. In the morning we headed out to continue our trip.

Leaving Queenstown we were on a road that was only two lanes with no shoulders because there was a lake on one side and a mountain on the other. And a herd of sheep was being moved from one field to the other but they had to be on the road to do it so we just slowly drove through them. I took a couple videos:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9153756144696263987&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6076530381957867898


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Lizard HoligramLizard Holigram
Lizard Holigram

They had a room full of holigrams and some changed with the angle that you look at them.
FacesFaces
Faces

This room was filled with those faces that always look at you and follow you around the room even through they are just molds for faces.
Same buildingSame building
Same building

This is just two pictures of the same thing from different angles.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb