Leaving Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
January 12th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, being in Queenstown was a pretty cool thing, i got to do the bungy jumping the skydiving and hangout with some way cool people. Meeting Cal (and though his name is Carl he prefers to be called Cal so thats how i am referring to him from now on) was a particular bonus and i probably would not have done my thrilling first bungy jump if he had not done it first.

Anyway for my last full day in Queenstown i was booked on a Shotover river combo, which is a package that includes a ride on the Shotover Jet (a way cool speedboat) and white water rafting on the same river. Sadly due to lots of overnight raining the trips were all off, this was a big disappointment because i had gotten up early especially and i was really sad to discover i could not do it that day, i then postponed it to the next day. So instead on that day i went up a nearby mountain in order to do my third bungy jump of the trip. This was "The Ledge" which is different to the other two in that the cord is attached to the waist, not the ankles and also requires that the participant takes a running jump off the ledge rather than the standing jump taken on the other two.

It was another real thriller and to be honest was the scariest one so far, because it is so different to a regular bungy, that said i met a couple of other guys there who had not done the Nevis Bungy yet (i already had) and said they were more scared of that one because of the nine second drop.

I should also mention that the day before we did a wine tour of several wineries in the area and this was a lot of fun, i am not usually a wine drinker but i did on this occasion. We also got plenty of cheese and crackers which was an unexpected bonus.

Anyway Friday was the day we were leaving Queenstown, but i hoped that my Shotover river activities would be on so that i could participate, but unfortunately the Jetboat was still not operating, the rafting was, but i decided not to do just the rafting and asked for a refund.

I left Queenstown pretty sad about that and to be honest i felt quite down as we drove out of the place. I had had such magical times there that i was obviously really affected by the fact that we were now leaving. As we exited the town i was really down. On the way out we past the bungy bridge (the one where i did my first bungy jump) and Emily (who was driving) asked if i wanted to go and do it one more time. I quickly said "yes" and just went in paid 60 dollars (cheaper because i had done the ledge a day before) and jumped off the bridge again.

I felt better after this and it seems that if i ever feel down the solution is to go and jump off a bridge.

That said i did feel pretty low later that day and I feel that it is an absolute must that i return to Queenstown (sooner rather than later) because the place has such a fantastic energy and i will always recall the feeling that i had in the moments following my first leap off the bridge.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1999s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb