An Adrenalin Junkie?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
January 11th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I am starting to feel that maybe i had some kind of natural adrenalin junkie, it seems that no matter how scared i get at doing these extreme activities i just want to keep doing more of them because of how it feels to actually do them.

As an example, having done the bridge bungy and the skydive i decided i wanted more and went and booked myself on to the Nevis Highwire Bungy, which is three times the height of the Bungy jump i did earlier. The bridge bungy had been 43m (110 feet) wheras this bungy jump was 134m (440 feet) and its extremely daunting at just the thought of it, in fact i had trouble sleeping 2 nights before doing it and not just the night before, but that just made me even more determined to do it.

Also while the other one is off a bridge this one is off a skypod that is attched to wires over a gorge, you can't walk to the pod you have to be transported there in an open gondola type thing (which has a floor you can see through as well. The pod also feels very unstable and part of the pods floor is made of glass, so you can imagine this is a pretty scary place from which to Bungy jump, especially when the distance is 440 feet.

Additionally, one thing i did not know until i was there was that unlike the bridge bungy (where after the jump two guys in a dinghy come and get you down) on this one you are pulled right back up to the pod (when i heard this i found this to be a scarier prospect than the jump itself).

There were quite a few people doing it and i was fourth to go, as always i was well scared when they were attaching the equipment and when i was edging out to the point where you leap, but i had it in my head that i would just go when prompted by the people there, and yep, you've guessed it i did.

It was an awesome leap and the drop was really long but it felt great and with the bungy cord being longer you bounce back up a lot further as well (which is fun too). While i was bouncing around i then remembered tht i had to be pulled back up. I have to say that this was the scariest bit, but when it was over i was happy.

I wasn't as euphoric as i was after my first bungy (the first is always the best) but i was well happy that i had done it and i expect that i will do more bungy jumps in time.

There are actually two more of them here, these are the ledge bungy, in which you take a running jump and the pipeline bungy when you jump from a pipe that crosses a gorge. I doubt that i will have time to do these when i am here, but fully intend to come back and do them as well as a whole load of other extreme activities.

As i write this i was booked to do jetboating and white water rafting but both are off this morning because of a flooded river, they might be back on this p.m. which would be good, so heres hoping.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb