Hungry and the Gang


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Kaka Point
January 15th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone! It's me, Hungry. You haven't seen much of me lately because I've been spending lots of time with my new friends, Rebel and Haka. Jeremy and Amy are busy looking for jobs, so I stole the computer and decided to write another blog to tell you about my new friends and some of our adventures.

First of all, Amy and Jeremy said to apologize for the two-week lapse in writing. They've been having a tough time finding work in the area. Earlier in the week they went over to Gore, a town about an hour west of here, to turn in applications there too. They've also been going online and sending out resume's to bigger towns like Queenstown, Te Anau, and Dunedin. Hopefully something will come along soon. It will be sad if we have to leave Balclutha, because we really like it here and we're all settled into our little apartment. But we'll see what happens and keep you updated!

Rebel


Rebel was born as the lone black sheep on his whole farm. He spent his early days trying to fit in with the rest of the flock. But instead he found that he was constantly teased by the other lambs. While the other lambs were content to graze all day, Rebel found himself taking long walks on the outskirts of the pastures and gazing off into the distant hills, wondering if the grass really was greener on the other side. He yearned to explore life beyond his paddock. That's when he met Haka.

Haka


Haka was born in a remote corner of the south island, where very few of her kind still roam free. As a young chick she kept trying to spread her tiny wings and fly, until her mother finally broke it to her - kiwis aren't able to fly, no matter how hard they try. This news broke Haka's heart, and at a young age she ran away, facing the big world on her own. She would look to the skies and watch the hawks and albatrosses soaring high above her, yet she could hardly see over the grass. All alone and increasingly dejected, Haka stumbled into a small pasture and found herself staring at a bizarre sight - a black sheep!

Instant Friends


Rebel had never seen a kiwi before. Haka had certainly never seen a black sheep. Curiosity led to introductions and the discovery of a mutual desire to explore the unknown. Haka revealed that she had discovered a way out of the pasture, a tiny opening that Rebel could squeeze through. It was the day he had been waiting for! Ecstatically, Rebel invited Haka to climb onto his woolly back, and Haka finally got a chance to see what the world looked like above the grass. As Rebel quietly slipped out of the pasture, with Haka on his back, they were both thrilled with excitement over the unknown.

Every day, Rebel and Haka found a new area to explore. One day they came across a farm that had alpacas, emus, and bulls all in the same pasture. Rebel found himself teasing and taunting the alpacas and the newly-shorn sheep until Haka politely reminded him that he wasn't being very nice. They went to cross the road and found that a huge flock of hundreds of sheep were crossing at the same time! At last they arrived at the seaside, in a village called Kaka Point. It was their first time ever seeing the ocean.

Enter Hungry


As they journeyed down to the shore, they came across a strange furry orange creature attempting to chow down on an enormous piece of sea kelp. They watched in awe as the orange thing frolicked across the sand, waving excitedly at them. "Excuse me? Do you know why this fettucini is so tough and rubbery?"

Rebel and Haka gave each other a puzzled look. "Fettuicini?"

"I'm trying to find some decent pasta for Amy and Jeremy," the creature explained. "These are the biggest noodles I've ever seen!"

Soon they were all laughing as Haka explained that the "noodles" were in fact seaweed. Lively conversation ensued, and Hungry began entertaining them with stories of far-off exotic places like China, Cambodia, and Florida. Rebel and Haka knew they'd found their third musketeer!

So here we are, everyone! I'm glad I have lots to do because Jeremy and Amy are busy doing lots of boring job searching. I'm sure they'll send a blog just as soon as they have some good news for you. Take care!

Love,
Hungry, Rebel, and Haka







Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



16th January 2010

Hey Jeremy, Still working on whispering those sheep nothings in her ear?
16th January 2010

What an Imagination!
Hungry, I have thoroughly enjoyed this last blog. Thanks for the history on Rebel and Haka, I was anxiously awaiting their stories. Tell Amy she has already found her job and it is flexible. She should write short stories or children's books! That's for certain. Miss you all! D
16th January 2010

a totally wonderful story - agreed that Amy should write children's stories - what an imagination and use of words in the English language to explain smallest details. Hope there is work right around the corner for the two of you, and as far as Hungry, Haka, and Rebel they are about as adorable as anything I've ever seen.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb