Omarama and the Clay Cliffs


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Omarama
February 23rd 2013
Published: February 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Lake Tekapo headed south, decided to stop at Omarama for one night. Not really much in the way of a town but found some interesting clay cliffs about twenty minutes drive from the centre. The road from the highway turns to an unsealed road after about 4kms, I have found them difficult to get used to as they are really bumpy and dusty but when in Rome etc. after about another 4kms the road is only fit for 4WD so walked the rest of the way. Couldn't find much information about the cliffs but looking at them it would appear clay between the sandstone is eroded and leaves the sandstone which looks a bit like the sandcastles you make with wet sand. Following at his took the mountain rothe towards Wanaka stopping off at a place called Tarras for lunch. MIT consisted of three shops a petrol pump a cafe and a school. The shops were great though, one was a woollen shop with various hand knitted garments, the second was a shop which sold brightly coloured kitchen equipment and the third was an antique shop which also sold fabric. Made a change anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb