Nelson Markets


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region
May 29th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 5th May

We were up early on Saturday morning to drive in from the Tahuna Beach Holiday Park to the centre of Nelson to go to the much celebrated morning markets. Didn't need an alarm, the aircraft taking off over our van woke us up!

This is why we made our "mad dash" up from Kokitika yesterday and in doing so we missed out on seeing some places that we originally had hope to see. We had read in quite a few different places that the Nelson Sat markets were "the best...etc". So in need of some last minute gifts before we went home we decided to give it a go! We got going early as we wanted to take Crowded House into the town and park somewhere near the markets and had discussed with the tourist person yesterday where to park a campervan. Not always easy (or allowed!) Said to get there early as the markets are so popular that it will be crowded.

We found a good spot in a big public carpark right next to the markets and it was only one third full when we parked at 8.15am. Cost of a parking ticket was very reasonable by our (Perth) standards. The day was fairly gloomy, overcast and cool so the first thing we did was go looking for a coffee and something hot to eat. Umm! we walked around the markets for a while and apart from the usual paper cup takeaway coffee stands which were painfully slow in serving there didn't appear to be much else on offer. We tried a "hot dog" from a stand and after waiting for nearly 15 mins to be handed a warm piece if sausage in a cold bun... half of went in the bin, we ended up in a quirky little cafe on the edge of the markets where seating was limited for a proper coffee.

The markets themselves were, in our opinion, much the same as other markets we have been to. The usual stalls selling lots of cheap jewellery, trinkets and pottery, foodstuffs and produce. Lots of toys and the perenial "old" tool stall. Close inspection always discloses that a lot of stuff is imported or made from imported materials. We looked around for some gifts for the kids and Mary made a couple of purchases from a nice lady who assured us that she made the necklaces! Yes, to be fair, there were some nice stalls but in the main the whole "market experience" was nothing really special and I would certainly not rate it as "one of the best". The Hobart Salamanca Markets in Tasmania (I think) is right up there with some of the better ones we have been to.

Later we walked around the main streets in Nelson in the hope of seeing something new and interesting but it was now after lunch on Saturday and some shops were closing and there wasn't anything else we needed. Decided to take a drive around the area and see the town better and spend the remainder of our time here looking at the sights further out of town.

Nelson is really a very nice small city with a population of around 43,000 and boasts that it has "more sunshine than almost anywhere else in NZ"! (but not today) Nelson attracts holiday makers from all over NZ and apparently it's sun, surf and sand?? are its drawcards, Also, the region is at the top end of the wine growing area and Nelson has lots of festivals and events. What we quite enjoyed was the lovely old restored houses and buildings and the scene from a very steep drive up a hill behind the town which afforded a lovely view. Reminded us a lot like many of the places we have in the south of WA and also many times we have remarked on the similarity of NZ towns and some in Tasmania. With its art and crafts and wine region and early history, Nelson is all these rolled into one.

Tomorrow it's on to Picton where we will finally meet Ron, our "contact" in Kiwiland who has arranged our camper hire and given us many great ideas on what to see and where to go in the South Is.

See you then,

A&M


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0954s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb