Mount Cook


Advertisement
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey everybody! I apologize that it has taken me a while to update the TravelBlog. I have been preoccupied dealing with some issues that have come as a result of a substantial change in my personal life. Surprisingly, I am doing really well! However, I always greatly appreciate emails and phone calls from all of you. Ok, on to Mount Cook. Mount Cook is the tallest mountain in Australasia (Aus... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

LooLoo
Loo

The cost of staying at Mueller's Hut was $35/night. Pretty steep for a place without electricity or running water. 2/3 of the cost of staying is allocated towards removing human waste off the mountain. The parks service flies in a helicopter on a monthly basis to remove the human waste from the outhouse.
Matt stirring our pasta.....Matt stirring our pasta.....
Matt stirring our pasta.....

We had to haul that gigantic pot from the bottom of the mountain to the Hut just to make sure that we could cook enough pasta for everyone. I helped fill the pot with snow for boiling. Matt used his creativity to find a stirring utensil.
Party at Mueller HutParty at Mueller Hut
Party at Mueller Hut

Kim, Sally, Matt, Todd. The two dudes in the background were from San Luis Obispo, California. I told them I was moving to San Diego and we really hit it off. Cool dudes that quit their jobs and decided to take an around-the-world adventure. A decision like that takes an amazing amount of intestinal fortitude. Awesome.
Mueller Hut Voluntary WardensMueller Hut Voluntary Wardens
Mueller Hut Voluntary Wardens

Jan and Henry volunteered to act as the Mueller Hut Wardens for a two-week period. They were in charge of relaying weather information received via radio to the rest of us hikers.
Pretty CoolPretty Cool
Pretty Cool

Sir Edmund Hillary was the first (white) person to reach the summit of Mount Everest.



15th March 2007

Love you!! Enjoy!!!
15th March 2007

beautiful
Andy, beautiful pictures. Love Mt. Cook Lake. It is exquisite! Come home soon. We miss you.
16th March 2007

BAAAA
Sheep are sissies EVERYWHERE. Although, they might be a bit more sissyish in NZ. You'll have to get back to me about that one.
16th March 2007

What a great blog!!! What a great guy!!! Love you much. Can't wait till you get home. We can share stories. You in NZ and me in Stilwell. Very similar stories, I am sure.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb