Moment of madness


Advertisement
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well on leaving Queenstown we drove all the way down to Milford Sound- wettest place on the planet and got a cruise out of the sound into the open water and back- we all got bitten to buggery by the dreaded sandflies- they seem to be everywhere.

I know i keep banging on about this but it's such a beautiful country and we passed so many mountains that were used in the Lord of the Rings (not that i've actually seen the film),

We were driving to Tutapare (the sausage capital- don't ask) and there was this old man that got on the bus and asked if we wanted to get on his jet boat and he would take us to the accomodation. Well i thought i'd support the locals so jumped on this boat and i can safely say i managed to sit in the wettest part of the boat when he decided to spin the boat 360 degrees every 10 seconds- anyway got to the hostel which i found out was owned by this guy, oh and the supermarket, the local pub, the bakery. In fact he was the near enough the king of the town. We then arose early to head to the farm to shear some sheep and fed the calves - really cute and then headed down to Bluff to jump on the ferry to Stewart Island.

Once on Stewart Island we decided to go for a long walk- walked for 30 mins, lay in a field for an hour went for another 10 minute walk and then got on a water taxi back to town. All we seem to do at the momet is eat, sleep and get on some mode of transport to get us to the next place. Stewart Island is lovely - though not sure it would be in the rain but it did remind me of some of those islands off scotland where about 5 people live and there is major incest going on. In the evening we bought the salad and ate the fish that they had caught that afternoon- lush.

Anyway moving on we headed from Stewart Island to Dunedin, back to Queenstown and then drove up and stayed in Twizel for 2 nights. Now some of you will know i hate planes and heights but in some moment of madness i decided to jump out of a plane at 12,000 feet over Mount Cook (which is actually 12,000 feet and the tallest mountain in New Zealand)- don't ask. It was amazing but i can now tick that box. We then hired a car on the next day and headed to Mount Cook for a walk.

We all jumped on a caoch this morning and i left Kel and James in a layby somewhere between Twizel and Christchurch for their farmstay. Hopefully they've been picked up.

Off to Nelson tmrw and Abel Tasman.

Off now- miss you all

cx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



12th March 2007

Your mad! You threw yourself out of a plane. That is all I have to say on the matter. x
14th March 2007

Hope you're over it for Sydney
Did a jump 10 years ago... I think you've convinced me to do it again! Anyway, hope you're back on form for a good night out in Sydney in a couple of weeks!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb