Milford Sound - stunning!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 26th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we made it up the Milford Road in the horrible weather to Milford Sound. We thought the weather was awful. Constant wind and rain, but as it turned out, it was perfect weather for visiting the sound. Calling it a sound though is not strictly correct, as it is actually a fiord (a 'fiord' is glacier gouged rather than water erosion from mountain rivers like 'sounds') . However when it was first discovered there was no word in English for it, so they called it a sound.

We stayed at the Milford Lodge a humble backpackers and the only accomodation there, however we could not get any availabilty for the lodge, but they offered us to stay in one of their brand new cabins (basically a mini studio flat), which was obviosly a little more on the pricier side, but we enjoyed the added luxury with a stunning view and the home comforts for a couple of nights!

The day after we arrived we went for a 3 hour boat trip on the water, taking in the hundreds of impromptu waterfalls that were created by the rain. There are just 2 permanent waterfalls there, but when it rains the water collects at the top of the mountains and then cascades spectacularly down the sides of the mountains to the water below creating a stunning picture! We also got a chance to taste some of the water from the waterfalls that the locals affectionately called Milford Chardonnay because of the golden tint in the water from the minerals in the rocks.

Also worth having a look at is a clip we found of Ata Whenua gives you an idea of the place! Click here to see it

Next up Queenstown... when we get a chance!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb