Bye Bye Queenstown, Hello Milford Sounds!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
January 29th 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got a good start this morning for the 5 hour (or so the AA guide tells me) to Milford Sounds. Everyone raved about this place so we were very excited for it!! Jucy Luicy has had a rest and she is on her way!

We did have a funny scenario during thenight which Iamupset I slept through but apparently according to Lou, our Asian roomie started blairing out asing song in the middle of the night!! Cant believe I didn't hear it but I do sleep through most things!! Lou said it was so funny!!

Anyhow, the drive over to Milford was specacular, there was lots of nice scenery, we are being spoilt now!!! There were lots of butterflies on the road on the way down and hundreds of sheep, deer and cows crammed into fields!! Can I just interrupt this episode to let you know that the space bar is really dodgy on thiscomp so its notworking as well as it should!!! We got to see snowcapped mountains, really narrow and windy roads down and up the mountains and en route we gottogo through Homers tunnel which was wicked.It's pitch black tunnel through the mountain so you can get to the other side and toLMilford Sounds- That was fun!! It was really steep hill going down though!! yeee haaaa!!

We arrived at the Milford Sounds Lodge -the only one inMilfordso we had little choice and got into our 12 bed dorm - interesting!! We then booked onto the Mitre Peak cruise for the afternoon at 04.30pm which was a smallboat,we have been told the small boats are the best ones as they get right under the waterfalls!! We did the fore shore walk along the sounds which was only 30mins or so then pottered around near the harbour. There is nothing else at the sounds apart from the info centre/cafe/bar!!

It was a very chilled cruise on the boat,the Sounds are stunning and there are so many waterfalls- Fury Falls was the best one! They all had rainbows by them as it was kind of sunny and kind of cloudy! The whole area is encased in tall green mountains and the cloud was hanging over them it was quite an eerie look actually!! We got to go right under the waterfalls and got very wet as wewere on the top deck outside!!! On the way back we saw a yellow eyed penguin on the rocks which the skipper said was really rare for this area and that time of year!! So we werelucky! They are well funny the way they wiggle their tails-have you seen them??!! hilarious!! We also saw seal colonies aswell, just hanging around on the rocks!!

We just had a chilled out evening doing washing -not much else to do!! There was only one drier though so finally finished it at 1am!! We had no clothes left though so thats the price we paid!! Then we got back to thedorm and I climbed onto my top bunk and some monstrosity - sorry don't know how you spell it - of a bug jumped on to my bag!!! I got down (without injury may I add) but very smartish!!! Then we kept trying to find it whilst trying not towake up the other 10 sleeping people!! It kept smacking into us whilst it was flying about the room!!!! Looking back it would have been excellent viewing but it wasn't funny at thetime, trying to find a big flying bug with a torch - not an easy task I can tell you!! I noticed it seemed to keep going for me and not Lou and I had the torch so I decided to run outside and shine the light into the room and it followed - hey,I am not just a hat rack you know!! So its smacked into me AGAIN, I flicked itoff and ran inside! Gasp! Dilemma over!!













Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb