Milford Sound


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Milford Sound
March 18th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eglinton ValleyEglinton ValleyEglinton Valley

View on the way to Milford Sound
From Te Anau we headed West to Milford Sound where we had booked ourselves onto an overnight cruise!! Although not as posh as it sounds we had a fabulous time!! The boat (The Milford Wanderer!) sleeps 60 people and is usually fully booked but for our trip there were only 15 people!! We virtually had the boat to ourselves!! It did mean we had our own cabin instead of sharing with two others which, to be honest, was a blessing as it was tiny!!

We sailed out along the Sound admiring the view which was still pretty impressive even though it was raining rather heavily! We stopped and had an opportunity to go kayaking or on a speed boat. We opted for the speedboat thinking we might stay a little drier but no such luck...in the 30 mins we were out on the boat we had torrential downpours of rain and hail...nice!! By the time we returned we were wet through to our underwear which seems to be becoming a regular thing during our travels!!

There was just enough time to dry off ready for dinner...Johann neglected to bring spare trousers so was forced to wear his swimming
Mirror lakesMirror lakesMirror lakes

On the way to Milford
trunks to dinner...a good look I think!! Dinner consisted of vegetable soup, roast beef and all the trimmings followed by three berry pie and cream!! The beef was very good...better than most places in England!!

We managed to squeeze into the cabin and got a fairly decent nights sleep...despite the fact that Johann was too tall for the bed!! Up for a cooked breakfast at seven and a couple of hours to take a few more photos before heading back to to the ferry terminal! A good trip...highly recommended!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Killer Kea!!!!Killer Kea!!!!
Killer Kea!!!!

Giant bird attacks car...
KeaKea
Kea

Alpine parrots (when not attacking vehicles...)
Milford WandererMilford Wanderer
Milford Wanderer

Our transport and home for the night
800m waterfalls800m waterfalls
800m waterfalls

some higher than Niagara falls
Dressed to kill...Dressed to kill...
Dressed to kill...

These were the only dry clothes I had!
Cosy bunksCosy bunks
Cosy bunks

Usually 4(!) people in here, but as it was so empty we had a cabin to ourselves!
Milford MarinerMilford Mariner
Milford Mariner

Sister ship, en suite bathrooms for posh folk! (floating hotel as our chef put it)


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb