Fancy dress.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Mahinapuha
March 5th 2007
Published: March 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First stop of the day was at NZ's most westerly point, the closest part of the country to oz. I couldnt see it, and I was looking really hard, which was disappointing.

Did see lots of seals though, but from quite far away, and they didn't do much really. Again a slight disappointment, but was nice walk all the same.

Next stop was a beach which had huge waves, where we endeavoured to go bodysurfing, but in fact just got a beating from the waves and drowned a little bit. Did manage to catch a couple on a boogieboard though which was really good, until you got off at the shore and had to get out again, which was tricky and ultimately not really worth it, so went to have a pancake instead.

Next stop was a place called Greymouth, which has very little of interest in it. The reason we stopped there was to get equipment for a fancy dress party that evening, when we were staying in a pub in the middle of genuinely nowhere, run by Les, who is NZs oldest publican (85), and more than a little mental. Fancy dress party was really good, and the BBQ we had was sednsational, and I ate so much venison stew it was incredible. My costume was brilliant.

Quite a late night, although surprisingly quite a clear head the next day... which was good as it kicked off with a massive hike up a big hill, to a really good viewpoint where you could see mount cook (biggest in NZ with lots of snow on it).

Also stopped at a place called the Bushman centre, where I fed a deer and ate a possum pie, which was very good, so long as you didn't think too much about the possum which went into making it, as they are rank.

After the walk to the viewpoint we went bodysurfing on the surf beach again, which was good.

Arrived in Franz Joseph around 4, and booked in for the next days glacier hike....




Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb