Kaikoura - swimming with dolphins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
March 14th 2011
Published: March 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After an early start from Methven and catching a sunrise, we made our way to Kaikoura. This place prides itself on been very green and has recently been awarded a Green Globe status. It is the second city in the world to be given this status. Green Globe is the world's only truly global tourism certification standard and arose from the principles of Agenda 21 (the United Nations action for climate change). It aspires to be a system that responds to the major environmental problems facing the planet as well as seeking to achieve environmental , social and cultural improvements at a global, national and international level.

This was made very evident when we headed off to go and swim with dolphins. The safety video explains how the dolphins are there to check you out, and you are entertaining them and not the other way round. The Dusky Dolphin is in vast numbers in this area of New Zealand, and soon we could see between 100 and 200 dolphins in the water.

We were told how to get their attention, mainly either by diving down or by making noises through the snorkel. Soon they were around me and they really seemed to be looking right at me and working out what I was. It was a truly great experience. After about 4 times in the water we headed back to the shore, not before we had got some good photos of the dolphins jumping, flipping and powering through the water. They really are immense creatures and being this close to them was a true privilege.

This is one of the last activities we'll do in New Zealand as on Thursday I head off to Australia, so until then....


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th March 2011
DSC01027

Like A gloooooove !
14th March 2011
DSC01023

KIck!!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb