New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
November 28th 2010
Published: November 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 15th November: Hi everybody, sorry for the long gap but I'm now sat at a computer that doesn't have a time meter on it. So can think a bit before I tap the keys. I'll try and pick up from where I left off after reaching the south island. Once off the ferry we were heading south east on highway 1 heading for Kaikoura. Drove through some small town like Blenheim close to Cloudy Bay and the Big Lagoon. Carried on south and passed along Lake Grassmere and further on to Wharanui. This is where the road meets the Pacific ocean, for mile upon mile we drove a long narrow winding passes with shear rock to our right and the sea to our left. We stopped when we saw a population of fur seals basking on the sea rocks. They were so well camouflaged what we though were one or two became many, probably abut 40 seals, doing what seals do, which was mostly sleeping. They'd obviously had a hard day at sea!
We eventually reached the small town of Kaikoura, which had once been a whaling town. Now the whales were just watched by tourists. We parked for the night along the sea shore as we had done in Napier on the north island. We were told that the name Kaikoura means 'meal of the crayfish' one of my new friend's gave me that bit of local knowledge.

Tuesday 16th: We left first thing in the morning heading further south but inland, as we wanted to get to the west coast, having only 17 days we had to decide what our/john's priorities were. So back on highway 1 through Peketa, Goose Bay and Oaro. We finally turned inland just south of Hawkswood taking a leader road to Waiau. We were told this was a picturesque road, and boy! it was. We were heading for Hanmar Springs passing through numerous narrow bridges over creeks, the scenery was spectacular. Hanmer Springs is a small alpine village known for its extensive thermal springs. It had many sporting activities for walking,mountain biking, jet boating and rafting down the Waiau River. Even bungy jumping, if you were up for it. A real activity hot spot in the most tranquil surroundings. But as we'd got to keep moving we left and headed through the Lewis Pass and more amazing scenery. We came onto Reefton, another small but interesting town. Once a gold mining area, its name taken from the gold bearing quartz reef in the area. We stayed the night just outside Reefton on our first national reserve camping park right in the middle of the forest range. We were the only ones there for the night. We had been told about these conservation national reserves where you are in the wilds. There was a donation box where you took an envelope and put what ever money they requested. On this park it asked for 5 dollars each. You fill in your details and any comments you wish to make and then pop it into a thief proof metal box. We were surrounded by trees, mountain peaks and strange noises in the night. It's hard to put into words how it felt to be completely isolated from modern world. We were truly one with our surroundings, our alarm clock being nature's wake-up call.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb