New Zealand Road Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hokitika
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 16 - Saturday 5th may

Left the hostel around 10ish, it was absolutely pouring with rain - boohoo :-(!!!! Picked up Gem + Kee's coats from the Franz Josef office as they were bit silly and left them there day before after the Glacier walk! Sarah drove today.

We headed toward Hokitika, a smallish town further north, just south of greymouth. We drove across some plains, but most of the drive was forested, windy, hill roads! We stopped off at a little carving shop of a local craftsman - it was very expensive, mostly carved out of greenstone + bone - some of the carvings were created from some of the oldest found un-fossilised whale bone.

We found a backpackers hostel at 'Hoki'. It was called the 'Blue Spur Lodge' and was quite a way out of town, but very quiet + had lovely surroundings! Drove into town with a plan to have a go at some Greenstone carving, but unfortunately we had not arrived in time to complete a half day carving session.

We decided to take a walk along the local beach just off the main street - the weather wasn't great but it was dry for an hour which is always good! We also had a 'wee' peak around the shops although would you believe...most of them were closed...and on a saturday!!!What a silly idea!!

Back at the hostel, Nikki dreaded kee's hair with some extreme hold wax which took a while....not sure if it will stay in!? Nik + Kee went top and tail in a double and Gem + Sar shared the other double - small but comfy!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb