Greymouth


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Greymouth
September 28th 2015
Published: October 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Once we'd settled into our 1970s themed motel room (vintage, perhaps?), we dropped into the i centre and discovered two vital pieces of information: 1 - daylight savings was beginning the next day and 2 - a visit to the blowholes at Pancake Rocks has to coincide with high tide. Despite our best intentions, we are usually so unprepared but we were going to be ready this time. The joy!
The lovely lady at the i centre told us we might be able to spot dolphins at the end of the pier but the only sights we saw there were Mt Cook, some brave surfers and shipwreck memorials.
We picked up some supplies at the New World supermarket and I was pleasantly surprised to find bag packers. I didn't realise they still existed in this day of the self checkout. Now I also know how Pak'n Save got its name.
We ate dinner in the hotel, watching girls in short tight dresses arrive for the 21st. Followed by boys who didn't appear to spend as much time preparing for the party as the girls.
We needed to be at Pancake Rocks by 10:43 am to see the geysers in action. Despite a random breath test by the motorway patrol and a wrong turn, we managed to arrive right on time. The fine weather conditions meant that we could only imagine what it would look like on a wild and stormy day, but we did see some surging waves and chimney 'smoke' (thanks to Dayna's keen eye).
After a quick bite for lunch, we headed off to Shantytown. This is one place that does not live up to its name. Maybe it would be chapville on a cold, wild wet miserable day but you could walk away from here thinking that the prospectors found themselves living in the first A V Jennings suburban development.
It was like walking around a 19th century housing estate - it was so neat and tidy. Nothing like Sovereign Hill. There are few interactive exhibits, a lame holographic show and a toilet that rates a "solid 0" (according to Dayna) but we somehow managed to spend a few hours there.
The hotel was next to a rocky beach so Dean took advantage of the abundant driftwood lying about and started a little bonfire. And that's when some dark clouds appeared. Not to be deterred, he settled in for some quality circle work, the girls toasted marshmallows and I scuttled back to the room once the sun set.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb