New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
December 3rd 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 18th November: As most of you know I'm now in Australia and John is back in U.K. were the snow is falling. But here on the travelblog it's still November! Back on the road travelling southwards to Franz Josef. We arrived early, about ten-o-clock, so we'd got most of the day to spend. Although it wasn't cold, infact it was very warm in Franz Josef, we were told it was quite chilly on the glacier. Many tourist head for Franz Josef and fox glacier. A lot of people were flying out to the glaciers by helicopter but we thought that was cheating. At least that's what we told each other. We'd decided we'd save the pennies for Milford Sound, which was on our agenda. We did visit the Kiwi Conservation Centre that recently opened.Some of the orphan kiwis were survivors of the Christchurch earthquake in September. We got a day pass as we were told their activity is better at different times of the day so we went off to walk the summit of the glacier which we were told can take at least an hour to reach. It took about three hours to visit and return and take in the view. We did decide to stay in Franz Josef for the night and found a very good motorhome park right in the centre very close to the all the activites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb